Hello,

I am a scout in a troop That when I joined was one of the most respected in the council, but one that now has a large problem. Our SPL, and most of the older boys are, quite frankly, useless idiots. Now this may sound harsh but the fact is SPL shows up to two meetings out of four, out of uniform, and a half hour late. Then at the meeting he talks loudly with his extreamly elitest group of friends, creating a distraction , and then has the gall to and leave early! Due to this SPL we have almost toatly stoped PLCs and has been thrown out the window. I have been told about an ASM who said the most hated sentence in the english languadge "I gave up on helping these boys." Now this has been going on for about 3 years and the only way for things to change in this troop is for new boys, who have watched this type of leadership since they joined, is to take control. But without the example or training (we haven't had a proper JLT in about two years)they will just continue the cycle. If nothing is done this 55 year old troop will go under in a about 2-3 years.

I ask all of you for advice on what I can do to improve the troop.

YIS

F. Scouter

FloridaScout

Hi and Welcome

Where is the Scoutmaster in all of this?

Can you or your patrol talk to the Scoutmaster about these issues?

If you can, keep the talk positive. Do not talk about the SPL and older boys being idiots. Talk about how you would like to see the troop improved or changed. Be prepared for this meeting, you handbook has many good ideas in it.

How long have you been in the troop?

AS for the second hand information you have heard about the ASM, ignore it! This may or may not have been said. And sometimes we adults say things without thinking, but we also get frustrated sometimes also. He may turn out to be your biggest ally, he could be frustrated with the troop for the same reason you are.

How long has this SPL been in office?

Welcome also. Dan made some good suggestions. The Scoutmaster is the best person to address this problem. You and like-minded scouts are free to bring the issue to him or anyone you like. As Dan says, try to keep the discussion positive and constructive. Other troops have weathered similar situations so it is possible to solve this problem.

FloridaScout:

I come to these forums from a slightly different perspective. Like many, I was a Scout. Like many, I was a Scoutmaster and a volunteer in the BSA. Unlike many, I am a professional Scouter.

We have a saying in the Scouting profession -- when pressure needs to be brought, it should be "professional to professional and volunteer to volunteer." To clarify -- if someone has a problem with a DE I supervise, I expect them to bring the problem to me and I will talk to the DE. If someone has a problem with a volunteer, I expect them to bring the problem to the volunteer who "supervises" that position and that volunteer to lean on the volunteer "under" them.

Yes, you should talk to your Scoutmaster about the problem with your Senior Patrol leader.

However, I think you should also talk to your Senior Patrol Leader about the younger Scouts' problems with his example. Be respectful, but firm. Let him know that the boys admire his position and need more leadership from him. Do not, under any circumstances, call him an idiot. Think it through before you have the conversation. Let him know your concerns.

If he does nothing, keep trying to help the troop in any way you can, but give him the opportunity of hearing your views. Remember that even though he's older than you, he's still a Boy Scout and is learning -- or should be -- too. Your views may well teach him a valuable lesson in leadership, and that's what the BSA is about.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Dave

Gee, my thoughts seemed so good until I read the one by Dsteele. Are you suggesting that this should be handled by the boys! What an idea!

Follow the chain of command (proably not the correct term)and you have a better chance of improving the troop!

Please, keep us informed.

I would add only one thing to what Dan said -

lead by YOUR OWN example.

Since you are not the SPL, what you can do is to influence your patrol to return to the scouting methods of leadership. wether YOU are PL or not - if you have a few like-minded boys, you can start doing things using the scout methods within your patrol. When the other boys/ patrols see things working in your patrol and see you guys having fun and great outings - then THEY will want that, too. the next time elections come around - the current slacking SPL will either have gotten the message or someone else will be elected.

This works on the leadership from BOTH directions, above and below.

One of the hardest things we are having to teach our boys is to not elect leadership by popularity. Most people have to learn the HARD way - and often have to get slapped with the dificulties of dealing with poor leadership before they take it seriously.

the other thing is - as easy as it is for us, as adults, to lecture the boys on what they SHOULD do - the best and ONLY REAL way for them to truly

LEARN - is to live with the mistakes they made in making the choices they did.

if adult(s) are stepping in and covering for this SPL they are doing the whole troop a disservice. Don't make the mistake of pointing out his errors and complaining alot - people will just take you as a complainer. Instead, DO something to make it better for the boys in your patrol. Actions always speak louder than words.

Good luck!

Greetings, fellow Floridian, and welcome!

The above advice is all excellent. It may be useful to write down your thoughts before you speak to anyone to make sure you cover all concerns you have, and that the words you use are as tactful as possible. It also means you'll have paper handy to take any notes from your meeting(s).

As for training...

If your troop does not provide training, there are always options. Check with your district and council for their JLT programs. If they don't have such training (and that would surprise me), go to another council's program. Enlist your friends to go with you. Our council, Gulf Ridge, holds theirs in July at Flaming Arrow SR. Several of our troop have gone and really enjoyed both the camp and working their ticket afterward. Our district also offers training from time to time for boys.

Keep on trying, and never give up. Good luck!

Just saw your post for the first time and it seems that you have solved the problem. Well done.

You may have prompted these leaders to have a long hard look at themselves but they are only human and habits are hard to break. So dont expect their reaction to last indefinately.

They will probably slip back a bit and may need more reminders. This is not your job alone - you might be seen as a nag/pain in butt (help me here someone with translation). Maybe enlist the support of other Scouts to approach these leaders.

But that is one possibilty in the future - for the present great work and credit to you for getting advice from Dan, Dave, packsaddle, Laura, Rick and buffalo. They wont steer you wrong. If you had not done so you may have let strong emotion wreck your intentions - seeking good advice was very wise.

...and welcome to the forum. Pls hang around. There is more good stuff to be had in here.