My oldest scouting memory...

My earliest memory is an indistinct view of Scouts at their hall when my dad was SM. We were driving past and I really wanted to be there.

I remember my first parade at Cubs.

But the oddest is me reading a Cub handbook that stated the ages and realising that I had passed the minimum age for joining by a few months. Mum moved really fast and within a week I was at my first parade.

By that age I had also read fair chunks of Scouting for Boys too. I had read it cover to cover before joining the Troop at age 11.

My oldest memory of scouting and perhaps my fondest memory of cub scouting was working on my pinewood derby car with my dad for many weeks, only to lose the race horribly. I did this every year, each year working closely with my dad hoping that just one time I'd win. I never did, and it was usually the kid who had bought the "already made" pinewood derby car from a hobby shop (all he did was paint it and add weights) who won. It was not until many years after this that I had realized who really were the actual winners: I and my dad, and all those other cub scouts and their fathers who had poured their hearts into making the pinewood derby car.

• 1 month later...

My oldest memory isn't really that old no brothers or Dad in scouts.But as a mom my oldest memory is my oldest sons first Tiger meeting he wrapped himself around my leg and wouldn't let go.One of my best memories is the meeting he let go of me and joined in the fun.

My first scouting memory is getting my bobcat pin from our Cubmaster Mr. Strickland when I was 8. I wanted to turn it right side up as soon as I could. I couldn't wait to go to 3 meetings because I had no idea what "Deed" was, let alone a Good one.

• 1 month later...

My cub scout days are too hazy a memory, but I can tell you my oldest memory as a new boy scout. The scoutmaster of the troop that I joined had what in essence was a "new boy" program. One of things that entailed was a simple cookout on a large sand bar by the Missouri River. We cut some branches and cooked shish kebob and bread on a stick over an open fire.

How times have changed. Only one adult along, the scoutmaster. Cutting a branch. I don't think this last item was and is that big a deal. We were on private land and the farmer was more than happy to have the saplings cut back that were encroaching on his fields.

Mine is a Girl Scout memory, being female! I didn't get to join until I was in the 6th grade & a Junior Girl Scout, back in the days when you wore the green dress, socks, belt, beret, purse & sash! I remember I got to hold the flag in the Memorial Day parade in town & I was very excited & proud!

My fondest memory of Mark is when he received his Bear Badge & he was grinning from ear to ear because he was so proud of himself! Mark is shy at times & is a very cautious, thinking boy, even as a toddler. To see what he's accomplished in Cub Scouts & now he's a Boy Scout is amazing because I know he wouldn't have done those things if he wasn't in Scouts! :) I'm glad that I was able to a part of it too being an ADL & AWDL!

Now, memorable moments I left for the den! On our first campout as Webelos I's it started raining on the day we were going to go home. It started early & was rather heavy so the boys didn't go on the morning hike. We were all working together to get the tents down & everything into the DL's Blazer. We also had a cabin that some of the parents & their sons slept in & we had other things in the cabin too! Well, while I was taking something out of the cabin to put in the Blazer I slipped in the mud & fell on my side! I was wet & muddy & I looked like I don't know what. Too bad nobody took a photo! I was helped up, I got cleaned off as best as I could & it was good for a laugh later!

The other "legacy" I left for the boys & parents is when the boys were playing softball. I asked the DL if I could have a pinch runner since I'm "slightly" overweight & don't run! He told me that when I got to 1st base I could have a runner. Well, I smacked the ball that was pitched to me, rather proud of myself for that, but then I ran about 10 feet, felt lightheaded, everything was spinning & felt weird & then I fell, landed on my right knee & then rolled onto my back! What an attractive sight that was! ;) I was told that I fell very gracefully, my arms were outstretched & I looked like a ballerina! Another photo op missed! I was good for a laugh!

Judy

Judy -- I was a Girl Scout, too, but my oldest Scouting memory wasn't from Girl Scouts.

I have a brother 7 years older than I am, and he was a Boy Scout extraordinaire. I adored him. Two of my memories include watching him dance around a campfire in Indian regalia and being amazed that THAT was my brother! And second, going to pick him up from (I think) a jamboree, and being overwhelmed by the seeming "millions" of Scouts, and watching some of them go across a kind of a rope bridge strung between two trees.

Fuzzy, distant memories, but still there. Now, I watch my oldest son in his Indian regalia and get a lump in my throat (he doesn't dance--at least not yet--but he does impress the heck out of Cub Scouts at crossover ceremonies performed by his OA group).

Elizabeth