Hello crew,

I have recently been elected as our crews committee chair.I have taken the fast start and leader specific training for venturing and now once I have done thesurveys for what members of our char. org and what the crew wants to do what is the best way to approach them with ideas or possible options for super activities and related activities leading up to it?

I have already secured the use of a couple kiyaks for their camping trip during spring break.

If no one has welcomed you to the Forums, WELCOME!!

Actually, your question is one the Advisor should put to the Crew, either through the officers or to the Crew as a whole. If you can, let them brainstorm without any constraints. If reality (costs) must be a constraint, give them the minimum number of limits, then let them go for it!

Sit back as a fly on the wall and watch them make good choices!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!!!

Let the young adults (I don't call them kids anymore) do the planning AND organizing! Don't be afraid to let them fail as that can be a learning tool also.

For example the Crew had a two day backpack trip planned. We all showed up on the Sat morning to head out and found that the young adult responsible for the Tour Permit had forgot to turn it in. In addition the young adult responsible for buying the food "hadn't gotten around to it". The trip was cancelled (with some grumblings), but I will tell you that 3 weeks later both of those same two young adults were well prepared. One told he she felt terrible that she had let the group down, and it wasn't going to happen again.

Peer pressure was way more affective than anything any of us "older" adults could have said, and the kids learned a valuable lesson.