Presenting VLSC

We are having a minor disagreement within our District/Council and are interested in other's opinions/insights into the VLSC.

The Council is sponsoring a Venturing weekend program at a local hotel with snorkeling, SCUBA, and a few other activities to give the youth something different to do during the winter months. All fine and good so far. We were then advised that they would be offering the VLSC program on Sunday morning, running about 4 hours.

From what I've seen, the VLSC, if done correctly, is more designed around a weekend experience of it's own, or at least an all day outing. I've gone through the activities, PowerPoints, etc., and quite frankly can't imagine how we can do justice to the program and cram it in as an after thought to another program.

Thoughts and opinions from other Scouters (and Venturers) are always welcome.

Last year at our Council Venturing Weekend we had a crew come in and do the VLCS on a Friday night. About 15 youth went through this and they were having fun and learned something. The following day we did COPE and other fun things. Our crew also did a VLCS on a Friday night and the kids understood it and had fun.

In April at the Council Venturing weekend the VLCS will be done throughout the entire weekend.

It's all in the presentation. You can have a quality presentation both ways. Just make make sure you have good presenators.

Cary P

Crew 805 Advisor

How appropriate, we have a Venturing Leadership Skills Course this week-end and it will run from 7pm on Friday until 3:30 on Saturday. If you have read the syllabus, you see that there are of hands on activities and initiatives (human knot untangling amoung others) all require a presntation module, activity and reflection. if you rush through it, I guess you could do it in 4 hours, but in the ones I have helped present, the reflection, when the participants get to talk and add their thoughts is the best part and to cut it short due to a schedule short circuits the whole deal.

Uh, its impossible to do the VLSC (Venturing Leadership Skills Course) in an evening or 4 hours. Take a look at the syllabus. You have about 9 hours of program, not including meal times, breaks.

While I don't see a problem with one being run in conjunction with a weekend Venturing event, its shouldn't be short-changed by trying to cram it into 4 hours or so.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and suggestions so far.

I have read the syllabus, and that's why I posted this thread. Our DE is convinced that we can just squeeze this in on Sunday afternoon at the end of a vigorous weekend of activities. To do so, all we have to do is eliminate some parts, like reflection time, activities, Video scenes of Vision and Leadership...you get the picture. Some of us would rather look at VLSC sort of like "Introduction to Woodbadge for Young Adults" and use it to prepare for a week-long Kodiak experience.

Our Crew has spent the last 6 weeks going through a generic Crew Development Course (heavily modified from the Coast Guard and Navy programs) that introduced the ideas that VLSC will expand upon and develop. They (the new Venturers in particular) were looking forward to VLSC as a significant accomplishment. We have a session scheduled for our Crew, and it looks like we'll take a pass on the Council version. I'd hate to disappoint the youth with a hurry-up version just so someone can fill out the paperwork.

"To do so, all we have to do is eliminate some parts, like reflection time, activities, Video scenes of Vision and Leadership..."

Sorta like cramming Wood Badge into a single weekend, at some point you have to say why bother?

Why cut corners and make the kids think they had the full experience

What a shame that your DE, believes that the course can be cut down to just four hours. Where is the Council Training Chair. Glad to see that your crew went throught the Crew Development Course, and are planning the Kodak program, how about trying the SEAL program too.

Look into the White Stag program also.

Have fun and enjoy

purcelce

Without acrimony, I vehemently disagree, I don't see how you can present a VLSC course in 4 hours. Limiting the reflection time makes it a lecture environment, with speakers talking, participant listiening and little to no interaction. in other words, boring.

I guess I should ask, how was it done in 4 hours before I run off any more

All-

Since there have been some questions, here are the answsers.

In Venturing, there is a 3 level series of leadership development courses for the youth, under the umbrella of "Nature of Leadership".

VLSC (Venturing Leadership Skills Course) is the first level. This course is meant to be run by the crews for ALL Venturers, in a retreat format, and is many times run by district/councils. You can order the syllabus, #34340, from National Supply.

Kodiak is the second level (tho attending VLSC is NOT a requirement). This course MUST be presented during a week-long or 2 weekend outdoor experience (doesn't have to be high adventure). Course can be given by crews or councils. You get the syllabus from the Venturing Division. This really should be given by either those who have gone thru the Kodiak/Kodiak X Course Director Course or have themselves gone thru a course.

Kodiak-X is the third level (you must have gone Kodiak). This course is given by councils in a weekend at their camp. Its not yet released. As with Kodiak, you get the syllabus from the Venturing Division, and this should be given by those who have gone thru the Kodiak/Kodiak-X Course Director Course or themselves have gone thru the course.

Mention was made of SEAL. SEAL is the Sea Scout Advanced Leadership course. It is only offered to Sea Scouts of atleast Ordinary rank by the National Sea Scout Committee in about 4-5 locations around the country in the summer. This is because the course is presented during a week-long sailing trip.

Hope this helps. there are fact sheets at the national site on these courses. also check out the Kodiak website at www.kodiak-bsa.org

OGE oh great Sage,

you wrote: "Limiting the reflection time makes it a lecture environment, with speakers talking, participant listiening and little to no interaction. in other words, boring. "

I respectfully submit to you that anything that I do is NOT boring. You can do VLCS with all the games, interacting, and reflection in 4 hours and have it fun.