Sea Scouts posting colors

In front of an audience of 200 at our Memorial Day service at our American Legion, our Sea Scouts posted the colors in their Dress White Uniforms. They looked and did an absolutely fabulous job. I think they actually managed to march in step, as we had our newest Sea Scout beating a cadence with his snare drum. Our Bosun's Mate asked if I could see his knees knocking together. Nope, he did a fine job. It fealt good to provide a service like that to our Chartered Organization. Wish you could have been there!

At the request of the Cub Scout Pack, the Boy Scouts will be doing the flag ceremony for the Cub Pack Overnighter June 4-5th, which involves hoisting the colors on a flagpole.

Last week, the Scouts practiced this skill, and improved their performance a fair amount, but they still need more practice. I just got a call from the SPL requesting that I bring my large flag again this week, so they are apparently going to work on this some more.

Last week, all the Scouts but one made a left face on command, while one Scout achieved the same result by twirling around a right face 3/4 of the way.

I'll have to report back on how this goes.

Our troop bugler has apparently taken a Vow of Silence, since he hasn't bugled since last October. Another Troop will has been asked to provide a bugler for the Pack flag ceremony.

And so it goes....

Seattle Pioneer

My Troop was asked to do the opening flag ceremony for the area Rotary District Convention a couple of weeks ago. This was quite an honor, considering that we aren't sponsored by the Rotary Club hosting the convention (or any other Rotary Club, for that matter.)

I'm told that our Scouts did a fine job. Regrettably, I was attending a Wood Badge Staff Development session that day and couldn't see it myself.

- Oren