• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE

I hear where you are coming from but I need to tell you that in my crew the girls could care less about the guys who wear an OA flap on their uniform. They have their hands full just earning Venture advancement. Second, Eaglepacker is correct about the BSA regulations allowing it and I know how dear you hold doing things by the book so it is case closed. If any of my girls, over half my crew, really got upset about it we would discuss it, but at this point they feel its cool that the guys wear the flap. WWW

BP - ...the BSA regulations allowing it and I know how dear you hold doing things by the book so it is case closed.

Not to dispute your statement at all, but could you share with us where we can read that regulation in the book?

F Scouter,

I do not have the official BSA insignia manual even though it is in there, but if you have access to a Venturer Handbook look at page 89 under uniforms and insignia, "Exsisting insignia placement policies related to BSA uniforms shall apply to the green Venturing shirt." "Sea Scouts may choose nautical style uniforms using Sea Scouting insignia..." The insignia placement chart on the back cover also shows a place for pocket insignia, like an OA flap. So it looks like its allowed for the green Venture uniform but not the Sea Scout uniform. I also verified this with my DE today, who researched this for me.

In the Venturing Handbook on page 84 there is a listing in the Venturing Reference Guide under the letter O Order of the Arrow

here we see that the OA is a Boy Scout honor camper organization

OA youth membership candidate elections are authorized to be conducted in Boy Scout Troops and Varsity Scout Teams at the discretion of the lodge and under the direction of the Arrowmen serving as members of lodge unit election team. Order of the Arrow is a Boy Scout honor and worn by Boy Scouts, however these scouts can and are many times members of both the Troop and a Crew the OA flap is authorized for wear on both the Boy Scout tan uniform and the Venturing spruce(kelly) green uniform on the right flap pocket

by Venturers who were inducted into the OA as a Boy or Varsity Scout

and by Advisors who were inducted into the OA as a Scoutmaster or Varsity Team Coach. However Sea Scouts do not allow OA flaps on their uniforms and hence a ship may be right in keeping the OA flap

wear restricted. And those Sea Scouts and Adult leaders may have to restrict the wear to the Tan or Spruce uniforms. In the interest of a peaceful scouting atmosphere, Lets all learn to adjust and don't sweat the small stuff.