Are there any experienced sailing sailors out there? We're looking for a sail boat, but trying to nail down some details.

We'd need to haul it on a trailer wherever we went. It would have to have room for a crew of 4-6 at a time.

Small enough to bring the mast down and back up to go under a highway that cuts the lake in two.

Thanks for any advice.

I am by no means an expert on sailing or sailboats. However, I did once spend a week sailing on a lake. The biggest question I have is do you want to be able to sleep on the boat? Also, do you want to be able to do cooking, cleaning, and other such things aboard the boat? I am sure you can see how much of a difference it makes to know a bit more about what you intend. Another question, how much clearence is there for this bridge you mention?

From the little I know about various types of sail boats, if you want something that can take 6 people for 2 nights, have room for personal gear, food, cooking, cleaning, and possibly a marine head (depending on your choice and local regulations), be able to be trailered, and have a lowereable mast that can be raised and lowered while under way, you are in a real bind. I know of no boat that has all of those features. (particularly the mast part) Though just based on size I would say it would probably take a 27' or larger boat to have the size needed. (I sailed on a 27' that had berths for 5, and room in the floor for a 6th.)

If there are people that do sail on this lake you mentioned, find one of them and ask about their boat. I am sure they would be happy to give you the basics.

Now if all you are looking for is something for day sailing, I think you will find many options. There are many open boats that might work, and some of the smaller boats with cabins could also do the trick. Though I still think the mast will be an issue.

Thanks for the info. We're lined up to go out on Lake Michigan in the spring on a 26 footer, but that'll be with an experienced sailor. Lake Springfield is a 4000 acre man made lake divided into 4 or 5 sections by roads. A 19 footer with a small cabin would be the ticket, if 2 or 3 of us could take the mast down quickly and get it back up with no problem and just motor under the roads. I'm thinking a 19' with cabin may just be the ticket (can I say ticket). We could all sail, but there wouldn't be any room for more than 4 to sleep aboard.

Would a 19' sail boat be small enough to load on and off a trailer once or twice a month?

Thanks!!!

I do have some experience in these things. You have created a very difficult list of demands.

The one that places the greatest limit is 'trailerable'. There are few boats greater than 26' that are trailerable without special provisions. This is due to both weight limits for the towing vehicle and 'wide load' regulations for the various states and local governments. My 26' boat pushes the limit for my vehicle (large SUV with V8 and towing package). I have seen larger boats on 5th wheel trailers but very rarely, nearly always with 'wide load' vehicles.

I could cram 6 persons into my boat but we would have to be good friends. For inland waters, you will rely on a 'porta-potty' or something similar. I would have you charged with a crime if you discharged waste directly to a lake.

Stepping the mast is something that I personally only allow on the trailer, on land. I would rethink the idea of stepping it for a bridge, on the water, because there are considerable risks to both watercraft and passengers. Also, you need to be mindful of potential overhead powerlines. Such a mistake can also be messy.

I think you need to engage a local sailing club or someone with some experience before you make any decisions. Better yet, see if they'll take you out for a spin. I do this frequently and most of us are itching for an excuse to get out on the water. Have fun and be safe.

Edited part:

A 19-footer would be a great size for convenient trailering. I would extend this to 21-22 feet. You might want to consider an older Catalina 22 or similar for this. There are gazillions of them out there on the market and they are a great way to start out.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Those Catalina 22's might just fit the bill. From shopping the net, it looks like you can pick an older model and trailer up for peanuts.

So, the mast stays up. That eliminates Lake Springfield. I'll bet a 22 footer on Lake Shelbyville would be perfect.

Thanks again.

Eagle in KY, are you signed up for the Powderhorn in Louisville or was that Lexington?

Looks like Lake Springfield has 4000 acres of water, seperated by 4 or 5 roads. Baaaad. Lake Shelbyville has 11,000 acres of water and is 3-4 hours away. Lake Carlyle on the other hand is 4-5 hours away and has 26,000 acres of water. Go another hour and we're at Scout Camp Roy C. Manchester on Kentucky Lake. We're gonna have fun this summer.

TP - Yes, there's a lot of information there. Being a troop of first year scouts, we're not doing any high adventure yet. I'm hoping to go to it next year so I'll be better prepared.

Where are you located? We're looking to go camping down around LBL this spring. Trying to decide where to camp/what to do. There's lots of stuff there.

Trail Pounder, sorry to tell you, but Camp Manchester is a whole lot farther than an hour away from Carlyle Lake. It's more like an additional three to four hours. From just south of St. Louis, Camp Manchester is about four hours. Our troop went there for camp a couple of years ago. Carlyle is about an hour away from here. That is where our council camp is. Not on the lake, but near Carlyle.:)