I Hate Snow - A Lost Opportunity

This week all the pros. In our Council are away at Heritage Scout Reservation in Farmington PA. For the annual staff planning conference. Every year they invite a pro. from the National office to spend the day with them and do some training, then in the evening invite us to benefit from whatever knowledge the National Pro. wants to pass on to us. This year it was the second in command of the Venturing program. I can't remember his name but think his first name was/is Bob. Sad to say due to the snow at lunchtime they closed the summit and no one was sure where the Venturing guy really was. In fact they called me to see if Pittsburgh Airport was open. I was really looking forward to this meeting. While I have taken the time to read most of the material that is out there for Venturing, it is a sad fact that most of the pros. In our council have no idea how the program is really to be run. Instead it has become a great program to at the last minute get that 2% growth in, on paper if nothing else. I for one am pleased that 2003 was the last year for that tomfoolery.

The last I heard all of our people were still snowed in and there was still no word from the Venturing guy. I do hope that he is someplace warm and cozy.

Some wise person in these forums a little while back referred to Venturing as the Stepchild of the BSA. I had hoped that maybe after tonight that we in our council might have made a move to bring that child closer into the family. But unless they reschedule I don't see it happening.

I hate snow.

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Wasn't that you wanting to buy a Dairy Queen?

It doesn't snow much in Tx, shucks it doesn't really get all that cold down here unless you're up on the caprock when a norther blows in.

I think I could find that lady that was reportedly wanting to sell off some of her Dairy Queens...

bd