Help in handling a situation

This is making our Troop look foolish and they damage the reputation of others with their wild comments.

I am seriously considering stopping my volunteer work within the troop because of this..."

Oh, fer cryin' out loud!! Reputations are ruined because of things you do. Did you commit as you say the "crime of the century"? If not, then no damage. False statements by someone, particularly if a common occurance by that person as you say, mean nothing.

The louder you squeal, the more guilty you sound.

When we had to replace our son's bobcat badge (new uniform shirt and could not get the old one off), the lady at the scout shop asked if we had his little white card saying he earned the badge. I had thought to bring it with me, but she said if not, she could have found out other ways.

I think if you legitimately made an error, they would owe you an apology. If you were trying to "skirt" the system by picking up a merit badge he had not earned yet, then you were in the wrong, and you should take actions appropriate to atone for your behavior.

The only way I think they may have a reason for bringing in other troop leaders is if they were searching for information, but it should have been something like "Hey, Tom...have you noticed any other leaders doing anything inappropriate, like signing off of advancement when the boys haven't earned it?" They shouldn't have used your name in that conversation, and each of those conversations should have been done privately.

So, what do patch collectors do who want a full set of 100th Anniversary patches? Have a son who earned them all in one year?

Its not like the BSA knew plenty of collectors wouldnt buy a full set and rank patches and the rest

You explain what happened, then consider the matter settled and move one. If someone persists, explain again and move one. Be the rational one, its drives the other side crazy, I know, rational people drive me crazy all the time but they are usually right

What is your history in the troop with this peson? Is there something else going on?

I think you settled the procedural matter just fine. Folks who blow stuff out of proportion only make themselves look bad. You've explained yourself, if they try to report the issue you could say, "Fine, report me to HQ!" I like the view from the yard-arm.

But, you also have a "people problem". Your CC was hurtful. Well, the only suggestion is to tell the CC (preferably over a cup of coffee) that you were hurt by how they handled this. You should have been contacted in person to help sort out what happened, and that you wish you didn't have to be on the defensive before all those people who got that E-mail.

You might mention that you'd like to help out more in the troop, but if this is the way you are expected to treat people when they mistakenly push the wrong paperwork, you'd rather not be party to it.

It happens all the time in our troop, (more with First Class requirements, but also with MB's sometimes). One of us goes to the parent/guardian and explains the fauxpas in person.

Wow, talk about a making a mountain...

I love this kind of drama - thanks for the chuckle this Monday morning!

The CC has already told the District and Council that he plans to take disciplinary action against me.

HA! What are they going to do? Take away your position? Isn't disciplinary action a violation of YP? Oh yea, that doesnt apply to adults. Too bad.

I have been defamed and falsely accused of misconduct and other issues solely related to this.

Relax Francis. Sounds like you have some other issues with this bunch too, might want to do some reflection and mending of fences here if you want to stay involved with them. Otherwise, might be best for you all to part ways.

"and we wonder why they leave..."