Leader application problem

vol_scouter,

Two checks in a short period of time will not adversely affect ones credit rating. Actually, a million checks in a short period of time will not adversely affect ones credit rating. It will affect ones credit score. Your credit rating is determined by how you pay your bills.

Now if there were ONLY two checks on her credit & one was the lending institution she was attempting to borrow the money from, then there is something else going on with here credit. Since she was turned down, she is entitled to a free credit report so she may review her credit rating.

Based on what you have posted, there is something else adversely affecting her credit rating that has nothing to do with the BSA check.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

I never said that the poster was turned down rather that it affected the interest rate on the loan.

If you wish to defend this, give a good reason why the BSA should not be truthful on the check to begin with and provide a good reason why a consumer check should be done. A consumer check does not list what someone has bought, just how quickly the bills are paid and how much is owed.

vol_scouter,

I wrote these a couple of pages back - just some advice. In addition I have received 3 pms from other formites who have given up responding to his postings and suggested I do the same. Several others, as you have noticed, learned this lesson long ago and just avoid him.

Sorry Ed, I will no longer respond to your posts, your comical private messages or your ridiculous request for a public apology. Simply put, I am not stepping down to your level.

Ed,

Are you able to read any of the prior posts in this thread or access the links? It seems you are responding in some sort of vacuum or time warp.

evmori wrote...

Acid Test,

No thank you to what?

No thank you I will not participate in your obvious attempts to troll. Sorry, you will have to get your troll satsifaction from some other thread or from someone else.

Vol, in addition I have received 3 pms from other formites who have given up responding to his postings and suggested I do the same. Several others, as you have noticed, learned this lesson long ago and just avoid him.

vol_scouter,

Sorry I misunderstood regarding the affect you mentioned. I still doubt that two credit checks in a short period of time (one of which was the lending institution she applied with) would cause a rise in the interest rate. A higher rate is usually given to someone who is a greater credit risk - less than stellar credit - not someone with two inquiries on their credit report.

A consumer check is probably nothing more than the BSA getting a credit report on a person. And you are correct vol_scouter, this will not show what someone has bought. What it will show is how long there has been a credit file on this person, how they pay their bills, if there are any judgments and/or liens filed against this person, address verification, name verification, SSN verification, how many times this person has applied for credit & how many times this person's credit report has been checked.

I'm not sure what the BSA is telling people about these checks so I really can't defend that. Why is a consumer check necessary? It is possible there are some outstanding judgments against a person that could adversely affect them.

And again you respond Acid Test. Thought you weren't?

Ed Mori

Darn it, why didn't I figure this out sooner?

User ignore confirmation

You may squelch out all posts from evmori, who is ignored by (OGE here, the total originally displayed is not close to the total I got when I checked who was ignoring Ed, it was 15 as of approx 2:59 PM June 26, 2008)... we'll simply block any messages they contribute to threads so that you can ignore their comments when you visit.

This is all you end up seeing:

A message posted by this user is squelched either because the user is on your Ignored User List or has a low Forum rating. To view all posts, click "Unsquelch" at the top of this thread or remove the user from your Ignored User List. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

That would make #11 and another response.

I do understand people being wary of releasing too much personal information, but when it is required, either you release it or you don't get to play!

Ed Mori

This is really wonderful!!

A message posted by this user is squelched either because the user is on your Ignored User List or has a low Forum rating. To view all posts, click "Unsquelch" at the top of this thread or remove the user from your Ignored User List.

And it is easy to block his private messages by using a keyword block in your e-mail reader.

Acid, while Ed might be extremely argumentative, opinionated, and you might even call him pig-headed at times, he is most definitely NOT a troll. Or even the troll in this thread. He has been around this, and other Scout forum, for many years now.

I spoke to my council today about this issue. They stated that while there might indeed be other ways to do a background check, BSA (NOT the council) is REQUIRING a SSN for their version. The ONLY exception that will be considered AT ALL, is if you have already had a background check performed because of your employment by the government, the police, etc. Then, if allowed, you would need to provide proof of the outcome of the background check.

That is it. The BSA is allowing no other exceptions. It does not matter what ChoicePoint, your lawyer, or Joe Shmoe down the block states. It only matters what BSA is REQUIRING. If you do not provide your SSN to the BSA you can not be a registered leader in the BSA. Period.

BTW - Acid - I am really curious about something.

If your New York Council was "receptive to equally effective solutions rather than being entrenched in a single position". If "When in New York, my council successfully appealed my position and I became a leader". Then you have already HAD a background check run on you by the BSA - and passed. There is no need for you to have ANOTHER one run in this new Council.

HMMMMM - We were speaking of Trolls, yes?

I believe there were exceptions granted at some point but the strict requirement is more recent. Great information regarding the BSA accepting other recent checks. I know you can go to your local police department and have your fingerprints taken. The prints can be then used to run a check of which I assume based on your post, you can be granted a "pass" that the BSA will accept? Is this your interpretation? If so, this is a real viable alternative.

If your New York Council was "receptive to equally effective solutions rather than being entrenched in a single position". If "When in New York, my council successfully appealed my position and I became a leader". Then you have already HAD a background check run on you by the BSA - and passed. There is no need for you to have ANOTHER one run in this new Council.

It would seem that the New York council might not have done any type of check therefore one must be done. Now that's scary!

"I'm not sure what the BSA is telling people about these checks so I really can't defend that. Why is a consumer check necessary? It is possible there are some outstanding judgments against a person that could adversely affect them."

This is supposed to be a check to see if we are "safe" to have around children. What does it matter if I've declared bankruptcy or if I've been late with my mortgage payment six times in the past year.

Sounds like BSA is dealing off the bottom of the deck.

This is supposed to be a check to see if we are "safe" to have around children. What does it matter if I've declared bankruptcy or if I've been late with my mortgage payment six times in the past year.

Well, it could lead to character issues. If you filed bankruptcy or you don't pay your bills, how reliable will you be with the Scouts in your charge? These finding could also indicate other problems such as a gambling or alcohol problem.

Ed Mori

If they're doing a credit check, they'll never know that you were convicted for child molestation. I guess having someone with a good credit is more important than keeping the perverts out of the organization, especially at FOS time.