Value For Money?

Eamonn,

Here are my points, in question form:

$1M + expenses on the Council budget breaks down into gross expense per youth member of $239. Is that a true statement?

I counter to you that my Council is using a gross expense per youth member for 2006 of $160 per member. There's a delta between your Council and mine. For someone on a Council Executive Board, a per youth number that's out of line with other Councils of similar size Nationwide is call for some questions.

That said, do your Council revenues rely on 3d parties (Community FOS, golf tournaments, planned giving, and Popcorn) or are you looking at the Family FOS campaign to bear the burden?

To newbie Den Leader: At the Council level, Scouting is a business as well as a movement. Properly, it should be a non-profit business, with revenues not to exceed actual expenses. There are people you will never see who add $$$ to the expense per youth member in your council: Let's start with the full-time ranger, assistant ranger (if on staff), and maintenance staff at your council scout camp. They are Council-wide expenses. The Council Registrar, the receptionist/secretary, the Scout Shop manager (if your shop is local vice a National supply corp shop) all have to be paid by someone. Fair wear and tear on Council properties has to be planned for, as does life cycle replacement of durable goods.

These are what comprise that $120-$239 per year we're talking about here. In my Council, 46% of the annual budget comes from event fees, 25% or so from Community (business) FOS, 15-20% from United Way, and the remainder (14%) from family FOS. $10 annual registration and $12 for Boys Life are in and out enroute to Texas.

Even the little things can get under your skin. Monday night 13 of our Committee members along with about 12 other people attended the Troop Committee Training class, a three hour training class that was rather well done. However, we were each charged $5.00 for the privilege of attending. Now all of us can afford the $5, but why? The church where we met donated the space (and even the coffee), the presentor, who did a great job, was a volunteer. All we received was a certificate printed on plain copy paper via Print Shoppe. So the Council cleared a quick $125.00 or so, with no expenses. And they wonder why more people don't attend training, and contributions are down.

"However, we were each charged $5.00 for the privilege of attending"

Paying for training and not getting a material back? Sounds a little fishy to me. Fees for training should cover the cost books, food, etc.

I'm stuck paying 200 bucks for woodbadge this year, but I know I'll be fed well, get some pretty books and trinkets, and take something back to my crew.