Act "Scoutlike" here, please...

• Administrators

SCOUTER.com Forums operate with an expectation of decorum and respect, and members are governed by the rule to "act Scoutlike". Members who can not adhere to those rules are asked to leave. If a poster becomes nothing more than a nuisance (and we've had that happen a few times in the past), we'll block them from participation. Sometimes really lame people come back under new names and waste everyone's time, including their own, which must not be very valuable.

I haven't needed to explain "Scoutlike" very many times... and the only two "rules" I have given to define it a bit have gotten us all along pretty well:Treat each other with respect - don't call each other names; limit the demagoguery; acknowledge that this is just a forum, not the last stand in defense of your point of view

Keep the discussion honest - don't register as multiple user names and post in support of yourself or otherwise misrepresent your identity; don't state your opinion as fact; don't fabricate data to support your positions; don't claim to speak for "the organization" or the "majority", unless based on factThere are thousands of positive resources for Scouting on SCOUTER.com, and tens of thousands of people visit this site each month in search of those resources.

Stop for a moment before each post, and consider whether that post is adding to the resources here or just wasting other people's time.

If you post to the forums, I'd suggest you act as if you are standing around a campfire late at night at some Camporeee with a group of adults and boys, or sitting at a troop committee meeting with a room full of parents. Don't say anything (or act in any way) that you would not if you were around that campfire and not concealed by the relative anonymity of these discussions forums.

TERRY HOWERTON

SCOUTER.com Publisher

I would first like to say how much I enjoy the forum and thank you for the service that you provide.

I know that I have learnt a lot of stuff, and at times it has given me food for thought.

I do think that it is sad that we have to be reminded on how to act.

With this in mind, I would like to start fresh and offer my apologies to anyone that I may have upset.

My old school motto was "Manners Maketh Man."

I also had a great friend who would, when she seen me getting upset tell me to "Take plenty of no notice."

Hard as it may be there are some postings that are so off the wall. That the best thing to do is just that - Take plenty of no notice.

Again Thanks for all you are doing.

First of all -- thank you Scouter Terry for these forums and the work it must take to moderate them. I find them to be excellent and woulndn't spend a second of my time on them if I didn't. Please take that as a compliment to all involved. My time is very precious to me. As eveyone else's is to them.

To the others who have posted in this thread -- is there guilt on your conscience? I would hope not. I think you have acted according to the Scout Oath and Law in my mind. You have fun and sometimes disagree with others, but are as a lot, trustworthy, loyal . . . and the rest.

I'm glad you all post here. And hope you're equally as glad that I do. Don't bother to return the compliment. Just nod at your monitor, say thank you and move on with life.

Have a pleasant week.

DS

The only worry I have is that my good intentions do not come through in my posts. I write, erase, rewrite, edit, erase, and rewrite my posts again, trying to make sure I am representing what I truly mean, and even then, sometimes I worry.

Have I disagreed with most everyone on this forum at one time or another? Absolutely. Have I written anything that was malicious? I hope not. But I can assure all, that if I did, it was because my keyboard won't let me get onto the screen what I have in my heart.

Mark

Mark,

You need not worry. I have had disagreements with nearly everyone on this forum. I know that you've argued against me at one time or another. But I still consider you one of the most "courteous" members and I feel that your good intentions flow from your posts. This can be said about many members, but I just wanted to put your mind at ease.

Terry,

Just wanted to also post my thanks for all your effort you put in to make these forums work.

I agree with Mark. Many times I have chucked a whole post thinking that my main idea is good, but I can't put into words what I want to say without possibly insulting someone.

Oh well, English was never one of my better subjects!