I know that it's wrong but...

Rents are high nowadays. If my 21 year old son should EVER (please, please)

move out, he most likely will have to share rent with a friend. And I do prefer the friend not to be female unless he is married to her! ;)

I hope everyone gets to know the new DE and learns to see what is under that

little beard. The beard phase may pass in time.

Was it only just over 3 weeks ago that I posted this? So much has happened and is happening in so many areas of my life both at home and in Scouting that I'm having a hard time keeping up. Along with saying good bye to Pam, who I will be asking the District Committee to make a Member Of The District At Large, with a view to her joining the Finance committee and helping organize special events at present the District Golf Outing and the Outstanding Citizen Dinner. Which bring in a little over $10k. We are also losing our Field Director. While it is fair to say that he and I were never close and I have him classified as a first class twit. His going did have me wondering who would take care of training the new DE?

With the help and advise of two very wise and wonderful friends, both who do post in this forum. I think I have all my ducks in a row.

I am not responsible for this new DE. I didn't hire him and much as I hate people who say "It's not my job" Training him is not my job. We have hired a new FD who starts on November 1st.

While the relationship that I had with Pam was that of pure friendship. At times us being so close as friends did get in the way of things. Many times I went to bat for her on things that if it had been anyone else I would have left alone. The new DE might or might not become a real friend. My boss and I are friendly, we share somethings. I know his wife's name, where she works. His kids names and that he has a dog and he put a new roof on his house last year. At times we both get on each others nerves and while we are friendly I know that he has in his power the option of making life a little less comfortable for me and I know that I can always choose to leave. If I did that would be the end of that. We would if we met each other on the street still say Hi exchange a few words and both go on our merry little ways.

In time the new DE and I will have a similar sort of relationship. If it ever develops into what Pam and I had? Only time will tell.

My "Agenda" for the District is that we meet or pass all the requirements needed for Quality District. There is one area in the District that needs special attention and I would like us to improve our presence there in every way. More units, more money more everything !!

I am going to keep plugging away on the quest for Quality District and this plan to improve Scouting in that area no matter who the DE is.

It makes no difference to me if the DE is here for a long time (3 years?) Or a short time that work will go on.

While I can offer ideas and suggestions he is free to take them or leave them. Sad to say I am not nice enough not to say I told you so. I would expect the same from him.

If he is gay that is up to him. If he starts telling people. I will have no choice but to think that he is "Avowed" and report it to the SE. He is the one to decide what is to be done.

I have started the idea of selecting a new District Commissioner. Not because of this but because the Commissioner Staff is just not working under the current leadership. It might be that the Nominating Committee with the Council Commissioner are unable to find a better person for the job then the guy that we have now. That is up to them.

As for the way he dresses or presents himself, I hope that his bosses will give him a few hints. Again for me to do so would be me over stepping my duties.

Eamonn.

gee whiz....

I am glad I am not the new guy. By your own admission he is green as a gourd. If a member of the district committee or commissioner staff cannot recognize that, then they have no business being in their position. Talk to the Council commissioner about replacing a commissioner, or if you are the District Chairman, fire the committee member who plans to give him grief. Let the guy grow up on his own. The public will tell him about his handshake or beard. It seems to me that you folks are more concerned about a new guy than doing your volunteer jobs. Shouldn't you be concerned with next years FOS campaign and this fall's membership recruiting? Hey, this guy knows very little about how to get the boys signed up, and probably less about raising money. Show him who the best around are, and get them on the trail asap. His professional counterparts are going to work with him as well, but they will tell you that volunteers can be the best teachers.

Focus on what we are here for. the rest will fix itself.