Quick yes or no: Can a troop switch to a different council?

dsteele

Take a deep breath, not breath slowly, inhale, exhale.

I keep my expectations low when a certain poster posts. And I really mean L O W and he usually meets them!

The problem is sometimes he has good points, but I just ignore them, because it is him, and I read the negative into them, that are not there.

Now the real problem is that there are other posters on this board that have told him that they like his posts and his thoughts on these forums, so I cannot place the blame entirely on him. He is being empowered by these other posters. I would not have much of an issue with him, if we where all adults posting here, but I really worry about the youth that read his posts.

Glad to see you still have time to post, but 4:30 in the AM you should be sleeping!

Good Luck with you drive.

I guess it was not beneath me!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok thanks all its just couple days ago we found out that council has decided to close our local scout shop which is about 20-30 mins away from where we are at. Now there will only be on through out the whole council which is about an hour away. No one has time to take 2 hours to get awards and stuff like that from the office. Theirs other issues like the SE and stuff but i'm not goning to get into that right now. No one in our troop is "happy" with council.

We have a very long thin council which covers two counties. I happen to be really lucky in that I live almost dead center in the middle. The Service center is only a 20 minute drive. Of course the guys who live at the far end are not as lucky. As a council we are aware of this and try to move things such as events like council dinners and the like around from one area to another. As Taining chair. I held meetings in each district. As far as the store as a council we will pay the postage for awards and the like. Your council might want to give this a try.

Eamonn

"I didn't find the question offensive at all. In fact, it came to mind when I first read the post. I didn't ask, however, because I assumed that it wasn't really a special consideration."

The Mormons seem to get special considerations that the professionals don't really like to talk about. In my district and maybe the entire council, the LDS units are counted separately, there's Troops and then there's LDS Troops.

It was brought up on this board that the LDS Cub Scout units use different age limits than the rest of the world. Why? Don't know but by Bob White's standards they must not be doing Cub Scouting because if you don't follow the program, you aren't doing Scouting.

Do I dislike the Mormons? No more or less than I like or dislike any other church. However, I've never liked special groups that get special privileges just as I don't like it when a group has privileges or benefits denied to them.

FOG,

Do you understand the term "clout"? It should be obvious why LDS has it. Look at membership which equates with $$. Who butters your bread?

Now, I don't think any of it is unjust and although it may look like I'm complaining, I really don't have a problem with it.(This message has been edited by acco40)

It is mainly a matter of committmemnt. The LDS church ahs made a committment to use the BSA program in EVERY one of its locations. They have adopted scouting as their official youth program. Because of that the BSA have coopersted with them to make what is really minor adaptations to fit their specific doctrine. This is a courtesy that comes with making such a huge committmemnt to the program.

Bob White

"Do you understand the term "clout"? It should be obvious why LDS has it. Look at membership which equates with $$. Who butters your bread?"

It's all about money . . . FOS . . . Popcorn . . . membership . . . etc. etc. etc.

As for the minor modifications that Bob White speaks of, by his own standards, they aren't doing Scouting or maybe it should be renamed "Mormon Scouting." Bob preaches that everyone needs to do everything by the same book so that the game is fair across the board but yet he supports special rules for one group.

Fog is incorrect in portraying me as saying "we should do everything by the same book". To begin with there is no one book. There are several books that are each program sensitive. Secondly, what I have said is that you should deliver the program the way the BSA has designed it.

The BSA has designed a modified program for the LDS Church, and if you are a leader in an LDS unit then that is the way you should deliver the program.

If you lead a trsitional unit then you should follow the program as the BSA has designed it for that program.

A little truth in your posts would greatly enhance thier impact FOG.

Bob White

My district at the no part is farther than 113 blocks north of the county line, which is also the boundary of our council. To top it off the south end of the district is in a school district that crosses the county line. We have one elementary school that is 300 yards or so in our district but the pack that meets there is registered in the other council. I believe years and Im talking 30 +, when the school was built, the parents came from a pack in the other council and formed their pack with the help of that council. We have a troop in our district that draws boys from a school in our district but is chartered to the American Legion twenty blocks south of the line. The LDS scouts in the south end, all in a ward that that meets south of the line, are in the other council also. All of this makes for interesting problems of communication. One of the big fundraisers for troops out here is Christmas tree recycling and we have a meeting to divide up the areas for each troop to work. Last year was the first were we had those LDS troops involved. Pervious years we had problems with confusion on who tress were whose down there. The LDS stake down there is even in a different group that the stakes in our council. Most of the parents in our district work at businesses in the other council or at Boeing who has a large plant in our council but moves them all over the area to their other plants. Such is the life in the suburbs.

dan asked, "It just has to be all about you doesn't it."

FOG replies, "Huh?"

dan commented, "That was a good one though, I saw the smiley face on the i empower myself joke."

FOG responds, "Smiley face?"

Bob White whines, "The BSA has designed a modified program for the LDS Church, and if you are a leader in an LDS unit then that is the way you should deliver the program."

In other words, money talks.

Living out in the west many councils will find that a quarter and more of their units are LDS. The modifications that are done to accommodate the divisions of leadership that youth have in their Church. Therefore all programs are age based. Cubs start at 8, a new Scout program for 11 years old, with limited overnights, full Boy Scouts at 12, Varsity Scouts at 14 and Ventures at 16, 17 (no girls). This matches the needs of their church and I am sure that the BSA would do this for any Church.