Real Life Scenario (What would you do?)

Considered. Actually, more than considered. I'm planning to do a few blind calls as well as checking the pledge to cash ratio of the gifts in the pack. Someone had to have inside knowledge to approach this particular donor.

I'll turn it over to the DA when I can feel good about getting what information I can. I'm not a trained investigator and don't plan to put myself in any danger, but I'm good and mad about this one. I also happen to have some investigative skills that most, including myself, under-estimate. This merits some looking around.

If someone has been trading in on Scouting's good image in our communities, I want to make sure he's prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If someone is scamming the BSA, I want the same thing.

We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

DS

I may be naive but I'm still looking at the angle of miscommunication or sloppy bookkeeping. I just can't picture a criminal type attening an FOS presentation looking for an opportunity. When the FOS presentation was made, what was said about paying on pledges? When people walked out of the meeting, what was their expectation about how they were to make payments on the pledge?

From what you wrote, this man that paid twice seems more surprised that he got a bill from the council, than he was about someone coming to collect. How did the collector person know where the man lives? From his address on the pledge card?

I would want to interview all those involved in the FOS presentation to learn more. I would think the DA would be looking for very strong evidence of a crime and would have a ton of questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Having been the Family phase chairman one year for FOS, the training we received was very clear on handling funds. This being said, there are folks that won't go to trainings, that won't follow directions, that choose their own way of 'mis'handling the most minute detail. This, however, is not a minute detail, money is to hard to come by!

Mr. Steele, have you thought of a fireside chat? Of course, you may open a can of worms instead of the spaghetti, but........

Have you considered that you and the DE, and the FOS chairman, together should go to this particular unit committee meeting and investigate the allegations?

Is this a person that your District Executive knows well? Would the person, perhaps be giving to the Unit for something, like a son's summer camp and have confused the FOS pledge with it?

I don't think telephone calls are going to help you here. I believe that part of any investigation has to rely on instinct and observation. Can you read the man over the telephone? {Oh, I see, your council is one of the wealthy ones that have videophones?? That's wonderful, will you share your wealth with our little council?}

Don't you have a friendly detective in the district that could advise you? You may be damaging the case against 'whomever' by doing to much of the telephone and warning....

Sharon

There has been a bit more read into the scenario than what was there, including what I read.

Actually it turned out that the donor was unwilling to go into much detail. He didn't know the solicitor. No one with the unit where the presentation was held knew anything about the donation. The Family FOS chairman did not collect door-to-door.

All I can think of is that someone who was trying to get a popcorn order for our spring sale got a surprise $100 donation. The donor thought he was collecting on his pledge and when the notice came, he sent the council a second donation of $100.

The police weren't interested in investigating. I have a feeling that was because no one else in the area claimed to have someone collecting donations for the Boy Scouts. There was a spring popcorn sale, however.

Case is closed.

DS

A Hundred Dollars, had gone amiss.

The Scout Exec. Said "Steele you deal with this"

Our Man Of Seele was drinking java.

It would take more then this to make him lather.

Oh yes, the Exec did pass the buck.

But Steele would crack the case with luck.

He went to work with upmost haste,

working hard to break the case.

"It's FOS" He was heard to say, we need the cash I want it back.

"I don't wanted wasted at some track"

He tossed and turned and didn't sleep.

Our man of Steele, would catch the creep.

He called the Police and the FBI.

And gave his boss the evil eye.

Our man of Steele would break this case.

Our man of Steele he'd give chase.

The Police reported no sign of sinning.

Our man Of Steele,just wasn't winning.

However thing's were not so bad.

In fact no reason to be sad

Our victim, was not forlorn,

He was busy munching - Popcorn.

(Sorry Dave- It was too easy!!)

Eamonn(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

eamonn,

I think, ahem, you may have just a wee bit too much time on your hands. So what tune was that set to? I've been trying it on the 'Beverly Hillbillies' theme but it doesn't work there. Maybe with some changes...H'mmm, how about 'My Favorite Things'?

If this was a scam (and it sounds like it could be), then the donor is the victim of a crime and it needs to be properly reported. Follow the money. If it was a check, see if it cleared, which banks, what accounts. Should be able to trace it back to some person. If it hasn't cleared, stop payment and let the chips fall. The local solicitor should be up to all of the above. If a cash donation, you already have some good suggestions on how to proceed.

A donor sent a check for $100 for FOS to the council office. He claimed he has also given to a man in uniform who came to his door. I pointed out that the person who came to his door was not collecting for the council. He didn't seem to care.

Nice song, Eamonn. :)