An Eagle Project Proposal is as long as it is complete...

I gotta agree with OGE on this one. I have sat on many Eagle boards & have never seen a Scout reduce an approved project to so little.

Normally, the changes are minimal and only require an explanation as to why the change (change from paint to stain, etc.) but in this case, the project should have been brought back to the Advancement Committee when the Scout realized they would not be able to complete the project as originally approved.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I agree with OGE too! The project was to by playground equipment and have the troop set it up. The fundraiser was used to fund the project, it was not the project. The Scout could have changed the scope of the project by having some other people put together the playset, instead of the troop, thus still completing his project, which was to install a playset for the local community.

Dancin

And I agree too. I stand by my statement that the initial write up should only have to be detailed enough to show a specific level of commitment to the project at a set quality level. In OGE's example, that commitment obviously wasn't there.

The write up wasn't the problem though. Had the write up been the same but the execution include the construction of the thing-a-ma-jiggy (play set), all would be fine. The problem was this Scout's commitment to his project.

Were in in OGE's shoes during this situation, I probably would have approved the initial plans. I would not have approved the the project after the changes that were made. And it wouldn't have mattered to me that the end result was a fundraiser, or that fundraisers are prohibited as projects. This Scout didn't complete the project he developed. Very simple.

I think we have one in our Troop that may end up the same. Dad is pushing his son to be Eagle, and right away at that. The SM kind of fell asleep at the wheel, and signed a questionable project write up, as did the District Advancement Chair. Project was completed with little outside help, and mostly by dad. And I now hear it may be benefitting a local retail store. It may get ugly.

Mark

I went to the Eagle Project Book that you have listed.

I don't deal with very many of these, but this book is not the same as the one that our Scouts use.

I may be wrong bur this one seems to have more pages and is a better lay out.

Again, I'm not sure but have a feeling that the one we use is from National, it can be downloaded, but the Scouts have to use a pen to complete it.

I will bring this to the attention of our District Advancement Chair.

Many Thanks.

We use Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook 18-927B. It is my understanding that it is possible to do the whole project using that document. I haven't seen anyone do that yet but so far I have read no limitation. Our proposals usually go one to two pages typewritten. OGE's situation is one in which the scout didn't actually finish the project that was proposed. He still has until age 18 to finish, I think. I see no problem with repetition of a project if that service actually needed. And so far I haven't seen a project rejected if all the requirements are met.