Question about OA membership

When I was 14 I remember being called out for membership in the OA. I remember I was supposed to go on a campout a few months later to learn more about the OA, but the campout was cancelled and never held again to my knowledge.

I am 27 now and am wondering if I am truly a member of the OA, or since I never did the campout part am I not?

The OA Guide for Officers and Advisors says if you are elected to be a member of the Order of the Arrow, you are allowed to hold the status of candidate for a period of one year. If a candidate does not take an Ordeal within that time frame, they must be elected or nominated again for membership. You would remember your Ordeal if you took one. It is a very distinct event. I say this being a Mason, Shriner, DeMolay, Theta Chi and member of many other organizations.

S DE(This message has been edited by Secret DE)

You were called out for membership but did not go thru the Ordeal (the campout that was cancelled).

So you are not an OA member. Had you gone thru the Ordeal, you would have gone thru a ceremony and received an OA sash, flap, book, etc.

Mapper,

Welcome to the Forums.

Secret DE and emb021 have given you the short version: In your youth, you were allowed a year to actually undertake the Ordeal from your election to Candidacy. As a YOUTH MEMBER, entering the Order is an honor.

As an adult, entry into the Order is based on what you can contribute to the Order. It's not designed to be an honor, it's designed to support the youth members.

I hope you get selected by your Troop as the adult nominee at some point in the near future.

YIS/ICS

John-in-KC,

I think we as adults sometimes get lost in the meaning of an honor when it comes to the Order of the Arrow. I look at adult selection a little differently than the manuals and or the clinical definition. Adults are choosen for what they can do for the Order. Translated that means that adults are choosen for what they can do to enable our youth members to acheive. To me personally that in and of itself is an honor.

Of course, I don't say that to belittle the honor of being elected to the OA as a youth. I just feel that there is honor is both types of service.

S DE

• 2 months later...

Kimo,

AND HE'S CURRENTLY REGISTERED AND DUES CURRENT IN SCOUTING, AND CURRENTLY REGISTERED AND DUES CURRENT IN A LODGE (as I've found out, that means registered in the lodge of the local council where your Scouter registration lies).

Hi John - yes, you are correct. I should have added a bit more information when I said "so long as he is a registered member of the BSA". You need to have your dues in Scouting current and you may then joint the Lodge that belongs to the Council in which your Scouter registration is active. You may not join a Lodge in a different Council.