I keep forgetting to tell you guys a story of a good turn done for a Boy Scout Council.

One of the astronauts who died in the Challenger tragedy was from our council headquarters city. On February 1, every flag in town went to half-staff. Including the one in front of our council service center.

Let me say that lowering our flag to half-staff is no easy task. The office isn't far from a high crime area and the tie off of the flag pole is about 10 feet in the air. It used to be lower, but we had so many flags stolen that they raised it up to make it more difficult.

After a week, it was time to put the flag back to full staff. This entailed myself (ASE) and two DE's holding the ladder. When I looked at the flag, I realized that it was too tattered to be put back up respectfully. It was time for that flag to retire.

We don't have much money, so we usually get our flags donated by the American Legion or VFW. It was Friday afternoon and we didn't have a replacement flag, so I decided we would go without one for the weekend. I figured I could make a few calls and get one donated Monday morning.

When I pulled into the driveway on Monday, I looked at the flag pole. My first thought was, why isn't that flag at the top of the pole?

Then I remembered that we didn't have a flag. I need to get one today, I thought. Then I stomped on the brakes. A flag was flying nearly at the top of the pole, but not quite. But wait! We don't have a flag. Well, maybe another employee got us a flag, dug out the ladder and put it up over the weekend.

So I asked everyone in the office. Including every secretary and the custodian. Nope, they didn't do it. They thought I did it.

So someone, with a ladder and a spare flag, over the weekend had given us a new flag. They couldn't quite get it to the top of the pole because it's got two sets of ropes (one on each side) and they sometimes get tangled.

I'm just amazed that someone took the trouble to pass by, notice that we were without a flag, probably have to make another trip back with a ladder, a flag, and a couple of friends . . . all to make sure that the Boy Scouts of America could proudly fly the red, white and blue.

And all without taking a bit of credit. I think we must be doing something right.

BTW -- the DE's and I untangled the ropes and got it to the top of the pole.

DS

Mano'steel woulda' flown that flag to the top....

Super DE would recognize a glaring invitation for publicity....

Have you written to the local papers thanking your anonymous donor? Send them a photo of the Ladder Crew. If not the "public" newspapers try local religious publications or Advertising supplements that one finds at supermarkets. (Next how do we get him to join the District/Council committee?)

Sorry way to much fun for a school night!

Man o' steel would have flown the flag to the top. But I can't fly, and I'm no super DE.

I did recognize it as a great tool for publicity and did write a letter to the editor. I didn't send the letter, however. I should hang my head in shame for missing such an opportutnity, but I had the feeling that the donor wished to remain anonymous. That stayed my hand. If someone wants to use their goodwill to the BSA as publicity and it's good for the BSA, I'm all for it. If someone wishes to remain unknown, I'll do my best to protect that. As much as it may pain me to do so.

But I do think it's cool that someone "unstole" our flag.

I'm glad you had fun at the school night. I hope a lot of young men joined the program in your council.

DS