OA - Timing of elections

We were just having this discussion the other day. When do you do your OA elections? Some feel we should do it in the January - March timeframe, before the new Webelos crossover. The thinking is that the newbies really don't know the candidates that well, so it's hard for them to cast a fair ballot. The other thinking is to wait until June, after they've camped out with us at least two times. The only problem is that the lodge likes to do it before June.

It is really up to the lodge to determine this based on its calendar, program, and available resources. While one time of year may be better for your troop, it could cause problems for the lodge.

In my lodge we have in the past required that elections be completed by mid-April.

This year we are still shooting for the same thing, however we have changed our Ordeal schedule so that all Ordeals are after summer camp. This ensures that more of the candidates will be called out before their first opportunity to go to an Ordeal.

In the past, we elected people by mid-April. The first Ordeal was in late May, and the second in August. This meant that at summer camp, some of the candidates had already gone through the Ordeal. To correct this, call-out started being offered at district spring camporrees. Yet, not all districts had spring camporees, so that didin't work either.

To make certain every candidate knew they were a candidate, letters were mailed out to all candidates before the May Ordeal.

In any case, we are now trying to fix this situation as best as we can.

I think we may need to move our elections back a bit in the future, that way we can offer candidates a third opportunity in early spring.

Our lodge,Ku-ni-eh, requires that all elections be completed by the first of February, unless there is some complication then you are granted until the end of February. All boys elected can attend ordeal on one of three designated weekends or can do them at summer camp. They set up the extra weekends in case some of the boys attend summer camp outside of council or don't attend summer camp at all due to conflicts with scheduling. This seems to work well for the lodge and the boys.

The problem seems to be located more around the area of we elect boys to the OA and then they don't do their ordeal because of the "secrecy" regarding what will happen during ordeal, what exactly is the purpose of OA and why would I want to join something I know nothing about.

I do agree that having elections where new Scouts vote isn't the greatest idea. But, what if a boy recruits a new scout on your meeting this week and he returns next week when you have elections? Do you tell him he can't vote? I know you have to recieve fifty percent yes to get elected. If it might skew the election process then you need to contemplate this question, if not then let them vote. In our troop right now, if we wait until crossover to do election we could face this issue. We are crossing over somewhere around 10-15 boys. That could skew the elections. My personal opinion is that elections are probably best held before Crossover or well after crossover. Of course if the boys that are crossing over, have been attending meetings regularly and have been invited to the camp outs then they should know them. That's the other option, start incorporating your Webelos into the troop on a more regular basis before crossover.

Sorry if I rambled but, I just spent last night with over 100 Boys Scouts at a lock in where only 6 of them slept. I'm a little out of it right now.

As for new scouts voting, the election team should tell the troop at the time of the election that if a scout believes he doesn't know his fellow scouts well enough to cast a properly informed ballot, he can abstain. Any abstentions do not count in the vote total when calculating the number of votes a scout must receive to be elected. It's up to each scout whether he wants to vote or not. It all depends on whether the election team explains things well or not.

As for new scouts voting, the election team should tell the troop at the time of the election that if a scout believes he doesn't know his fellow scouts well enough to cast a properly informed ballot, he can abstain. Any abstentions do not count in the vote total when calculating the number of votes a scout must receive to be elected. It's up to each scout whether he wants to vote or not. It all depends on whether the election team explains things well or not.

Our Lodge election team does a good job with the video, the presentation, and the balloting. Scouts are all told they can vote for all, some, or none.

I like conducting the elections after crossover. It provides yet another reason for the older experienced Scouts to show Scout spirit toward the new Scouts...they constitute a large voter bloc that partially holds the older Scouts' fate in their small, unsteady, but numerous hands...

KS

We just held our OA elections last night, 1/18/05. And have historically done so about this time frame. We have the tap out at our February outing as part of the program for the weekend.

This gives the canidates the opportunity to Ordeal in April or June. This way they are able to particiapate is some of OA functions at Summer Camp.

We normally recieve scouts from the Packs in April and May, so they do not have an impact. But our first year scouts have seen the canidates for 7-8 months, which for us covers 6-7 weekend outings and summer camp.

What is interesting to see, is that the boys know who is worthy, and who is not. Give them credit.

Our elections have traditionally been January - May. This year we started in December.

We are anticipating a growth in assisting with lodge elections this year by actively promoting that we need help to run elections and to provide transportation.

Our biggest concern is getting through to troops that have SM's that refuse to hold an election for fear the OA takes away scouts from their program.

My troop holds our elections in october (i was voted into the OA through that one) and one in May. Although the new scouts usually know all of the kids in my troop because our pack & troop are chartered by the same school, they do not vote. They dont get a vote because they ususally vote for the nominees that they know personally. For example, there are these to 6th graders (last year 5th) who worship me and another nominee. The troop doesnt want favortism to be a spoiler.

I must, in the strongest possible terms, reinforce what Blade has just stated.

It is a clear and direct violation of national policy to either explecitly exclude members of the unit from voting in an election, or to hold multiple elections in one year.

A troop may only hold one election per year. (A year being a 12 month period of time. There is a tiny bit of flexibility, as you could consider this either a calendar or program year.)

Please check the unit elections procedures found on the latest OA Guide for Officers and Advisers.