Vigil, MOS, Tribe of Manassah, other HCS names

I can't find anything on the web about the tribe of manassah, other than that it was one of the 12 tribes of Israel. but somehow i don't think they're the same tribe. maybe it's something abou the name squaking battle carp.

Description of the Tribe of Mannaseh

The Tribe of Mannaseh is a leadership program of Camp Joy, Okaw Valley Council, in Southern Illinois. Our ceremonies, customs and traditions are based on our understanding of Native American folklore.

The purpose of Mannaseh is two-fold: to reinforce the ideals of Scouting as found in the Boy Scout Oath and Law and to encourage continued, active participation in Scouting. By blending the spirit and pride of the American Indian with the ideals and objectives of the Boy Scouts of America, the Tribe of Mannaseh strives to prolong the Scouting experience (keep boys in Scouting longer) with an historic theme that has held the attention and captured the imagination of youth and adults for many generations.

http://okawbsa.org/~mannaseh/

"Gee emb021, you make it sound so tawdry"

If you are going to do Mic-O-Say, I think you should call it "Mic-O-Say".

Sadly, it appears that the MOS types have copyrighted their terms etc (ok), but then won't let anyone else use them (?). Makes it near impossible for additional, official, tribes to be formed. Thus people have to establish different named groups using the MOS program.

I'd rather see multiple MOS tribes.

(FWIW, am not a Tribesman)

Each camp is different, so it's not surprising that each camp would want a program tailored to them. The original purpose of any camp honor society was to entice Scouts to return to that camp each year. If the same program is available at multiple camps it defeats the purpose.

"Each camp is different, so it's not surprising that each camp would want a program tailored to them. The original purpose of any camp honor society was to entice Scouts to return to that camp each year. If the same program is available at multiple camps it defeats the purpose. "

Well, if that were so, then we wouldn't be speaking of all these camps establishing groups based on the Mic-O-Say program. :)

If you look at them, they are copying pretty much everything. The terms. The necklace and symbolism. I would have to wonder about the rituals.

emb021,

I didnt say a program unique to each camp I said tailored. I can only speculate on why the Mic-O-Say template is used so often -- and that would be due to their demonstrated ability to bring campers back to summer camp, particularly the older Scouts.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for linking my site! I'm working on an update to it.

The Okaw Valley council (mannaseh) has reported active oa membership has more than doubled since beginning the tribe in 2001. they state as such on the council webpage.

seems like it's doing very well for the council.

do note they spell it differently. mannaseh.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

(originally posted by WAKWIB)

An interesting tradition in MOS at Bartle is for family members to use variations of the same name...

The Mic-O-Say "family name" tradition can be very interesting. Before one of my sons became a tribesman, he said, "there are all of these really cool names, and we are a herd of clumsy horses..." Was pretty funny, heh. He chose to follow the tradition tho.

Horse That Stumbles (my father)

Shadow Horse That Stumbles (me)

Silent Watcher of Little Horse That Stumbles (my brother)

Keeper of the Sacred Bundle Little Horse That Stumbles (my nephew)

Firebuilder Great Horse That Stumbles (one of my sons)

Silent Horse That Stumbles (another of my sons, the jokester)

Keeper of the Sacred Bundle (also known as KSB) and Firebuilder are position titles.

DD

Above and beyond family names, as Tribesmen from HOAC know, there are opportunities for young men called to membership to select their own name. My son chose that approach, and it's amazing how aptly his name fits him.

OTOH, our Tribal brothers and sisters in the Pony Express Council have a Chieftain name them in ceremony.

I've said this before in other places and I say it here: I like the mentorship given by the HOAC branch of the Tribe, and I appreciate the faithfulness to the Plains Native imparted in the PE branch of the tribe. There is more than the occasional time at Osceola that I look at the "Kabuki Theater" and I shake my head.