Flag Ceremony as a Fund Raiser

I read this one and thought overnight about replying.

I think Scouts should not charge for doing flag ceremonies. It is who we are and what we do. Scouts get asked all the time to lead these things or the pledge just because. I think using what is something we do out of respect for our country and communities seems wrong. Even if it isn't IMHO it is tacky and "cheapens the brand".

My boys and I were visiting Mount Vernon in our uniforms one time and they got asked to lead the pledge and wreath laying ceremony at Washington's tomb as a result. It was a honor because we wore the uniform--we didn't hand them a bill as a result.

Now for putting the flags out as a service. I guess it is OK. Individuals are benefiting--it seems creative--but you better do it right. Still a better way would be to provide it for free or for veterans but you would need some support for that I suppose. My only issue is it LOOKS like you are doing a good turn when you are really providing a paid service.

(Maybe I'm prejudiced on that one. I remember where I lived as a kid Scouts put out flags on certain houses (mostly widows and mothers of boys killed in Vietnam) just because.)

One of the units in my town does offer the "Flags on holidays" service, and it is just that a SERVICE. They maintain the flags so they always look good, they storethe flags when not on display, they ensure they are displayed on their "customers" yard and they typically educate their customers with a note about whatever holiday it is that the flag magically appears on their lawn.

As for the Flag Ceremony itself, I can understand the reimbursement of any expenses, but nothing beyond that. I cannot quantify why, but it feels wrong, dirty... One of my best memories from scouting was the first time I got to help with the flag ceremony at summer camp, just writing this I am smiling ear to ear. I can hear the bugle and just being in awe of the bright morning sun shining in the flag as I pulled on the halyard. I guess I can explain why I think charging is dirty, it is a Ceremony, a ritual, for our Scouts to share with every other American.

A better currency than cash is the good will of your community. Log those service hours, report out not just to your Charter Org but to your Mayor and Town Council. When you report at either event invite some of the people or groups you have served.