Any bake sales done?

We have a lot of cub scouts this year. I'm not convinced that anyone will buy the overpriced popcorn this year. Cheapest product on our order form is a bag for $12.

So, I'm thinking about having a 2nd fundraiser this year for those who need it.

Does anyone do a bake sale? If so, tell me what scouts and parents do in this. I'm thinking that scouts and parents could bake items, set up in front of a local business and sell. Put the earnings towards their pack fee.

When I was DL then CM bake sales were mostly internal... with guests at big Pack events like Pinewood Derby and Christmas party.

Parents/cubs create their baked goods, prizes were awarded (mostly fun) then items were auctioned off or sold piece-by-piece during the event.

Other good fundraisers:

Dog Wash - minimal costs/setup - need adult assistance & good weather.

Car Wash - minimal costs/setup - need adult assistance & good weather.

Ornament sale (Cub made - pine cone X-Mas Trees, pine cone baskets, etc.) - minimal costs/setup - need to take pics & produce a simple flyer, then get started collectiing pine cones and doo dads for XMas.

Christmas wreathes - considerable investment, need minimal order to make it worthwhile, deal with local nursery.

Regardless, turn in the Money Earning applications before you get started.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

As jhankins noted, public bake sales in front of a business can be tricky when your local health codes come into play.

Check out your son's "Boy's Life" magazine, or your "Scouting" magazine for lots of ideas for "selling" type of money earning projects.

How about a car wash?

Whatever you do, remember that you MUST get it approved by your council before you start. Here is the application, pay close attention to the guidelines on page 2 -

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf

You must also get approval from your council's Scout Executive to be able to wear the BSA uniform at these money-earning activities.

About the cost of your council's popcorn, I suggest sending a note to your Council Popcorn Chair with your feedback from the sale.

Another good, free fundraiser is through a Borders book store if you have one in your area. They allow organizations to wrap gifts at Christmas time and you keep all the profits. They supply the table, scissors, wrapping paper, tape and ribbon. In our pack the parents do most of the wrapping with the boys pulling in the customers since cub age boys usually aren't great at wrapping presents.

You set this up through the store manager. In our area they draw up the wrapping schedule in late October, and advise organizations to get on the list two to three months before the holiday season. On the Borders website it advises to set it up four months ahead of time, so it looks like it varies on your area.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/BGIView_bgicommlocal

(info on the bottom of this web page)

We've not done all that well with bake sales for the time involved. Face it, most modern Moms can't cook. You will get a lot of slice & bake cookies. Plus, many shoppers don't trust others' home kitchens cleanliness

Better would be selling boiled peanuts in front of Wal-Mart if you can get a cooker

We do well with hot dogs on the grill, plus cold pop & water and hot coffee -- all as a sideline to our carwash. While the people wait for the car to be washed, we have plenty of chairs near the food table.

We've done gift wrapping at the mall; you will need mostly adults for this. If you wrap behind a counter (so you have a storage space) you can also act as a claim check for busy shoppers. We ask a dollar a shopping bag.

Easy would be to gather all the stuff no-one in the Pack wants anymore, and have a sale at the flea market. You can make more at the flea than at a home yard sale for the same amount of inventory

We never wear full uniforms, but usually wear Scout tees