Has anyone tried a race?

I want to help our Pack run a fundraiser to purchase a Pinewood Derby track and timing equipment.

My question is this: has anyone or does anyone know the rules about having a YMCA join in with the Pack to sponser a race (5K, biking, adventure, whatever kind of race)to benefit a Pack?

It would be open to all kids in the area.

You can contact a local runners club. They usually have a group that handles all the timing for a fee. '

Course you will need to get permission from the city/police for the course.

The Y will likley want a cut, but would let you advertise for free....why do you need them?

Maybe you can work that part out for the timing by having your pack cover some of the "leg-work". I have ran low-tech races where runners grab "numbered tags" as they cross the line. They turn in the tag after writing their name on it and the age bracket. Place them accordingly. time to turn in the tag is usually 1/2 hour after the last runner. A lot of runners usually just leave anyway.

1st year races don't generally make a lot of $. But you could theme it. Offer a couple shorter runs along with the 5K aimed at other Troops/Packs/kids/dogs. A lower cost, and maybe optional t-shirt (tie-dye jobs your Pack could create).

Most runners just want to run a safe race, see the finish time, and get a T-Shirt. Trophies are not why they come out.

I think it's a great idea, and a good way to attract new people to the pack. It could be something that gets done annually.

The real money is the "bake sale" after the race, or having activites for the kids. Runners run to eat.

Don't forget the Money earning application.

I was more thinking a race, literally, for the kids. As in the Kids are the racers. Probably more along the lines of an adventure race. The need for the Y? Well, they have a massive amount of land, with all of the necessary equipment for timing.

I was thinking two kids, one adult racer, or one kid and one adult teams. The Y also has a rock wall, ropes maze, canoeing area. I was thinking have some mountain biking, running, maybe canoeing, and some mystery challenges along the way.

Of course, they would get nice shirts and top teams medals or trophies. My goal is to get kids excited about racing and raise some money in the process.

I was just wondering how this works with council and fundraising. I don't know how that part works.

The main thing I think you want to stress, is the CO involvement and that the proceeds benefit the CO which will fund a PWD track for the Pack.

Start with a plan, figure up expenses (general), decide how much $ you think you could (or like) make, turn in a Unit Money Earning application.

If the council has any issues talk it over with your DE.

While something like this might be a lot of fun.

I very much doubt if it falls within the BSA Guidelines for fund-raising.

If the Council you serve does allow it?

You might want to make sure that everyone who participates (Especially non-BSA members)are covered by some sort of insurance.

The last thing you need is Grand-Ma falling off the climbing wall and getting hurt.

Ea.