Fundraising Project Gone Bad

Interesting. To think that the boys would get wage is kinda a stretch if they were fundraising. If they did pay them a wage, they would be employees and subject to all sorts of labor laws, including child labor laws.

Our Philmont contigent did a fund raiser at Bass Pro a couple of years ago. We gift wrapped, boxed stuff and carried stuff for customers. Tips only. I think the boys netted about $10 a piece for a days work. Needless to say, we haven't done that again.

I read it...and there's no "winners" in that story no matter what eventually happens.

I doubt the store ever expected to pay out "minimum wage" like the Troop expected.

It is also a sign of the times, $10 for a days effort, won't make any kid I know (including my Life-Scout son) turn off the video game and come outside. :(

When I was a kid, I remember "working all day" for "enough $ for the "Fair admission and food", or just enough to go "roller skating" Friday evening. Who ever paid a sub 15-year old kid minimum wage back then?

I did do field-work for farmers (planting/hanging tobacco, planting/hoeing corn, & strawberries) for $5 an hour (all cash & higher then minimum at the time). But that was REAL "sweat-equity".