Successful fundraiser this past weekend

Just sharing what we did and how we did it in case you may want to emulate.

I scouted out multiple locations in our township that allowed for a drive thru hoagie sale. They were primarily school and church parking lots, plus an ice cream shop, and an ACME supermarket. I received permission from the onwner of each location.

We had signs printed (a scout Dad is a printer) and laminated them for future use. The signs were mounted to "election sign" metal frames.

We posted the signs like the 1950's barbasol signs that were read as drivers came up to road toward the "drive thru's"

In order of appearance to the drivers the signs read

Boy Scout

Hoagie Sale

Ten Inch Hoagies

Drive Thru

EZ On / EZ Out

$4.00 / Thank You

The boys were in position at 10:15am and all were back at 13:30. We bought 900 hoagies for 2.50 and sold out.

Worked for us.

YIS,

John

Interesting way to have a fundraiser. I like it. I especially like the roadside signs. Nice touch.

My troop had a successful fundraiser this weekend also. We did a pancake, eggs, and sausage breakfast. The boys presold tickets for three weeks before the breakfast. We charged 50 cents more per ticket at the door. The troop made nearly $1500 in profit.

Steve B

Scoutmaster, Troop 68, CMC

http://melrosetroop68.org/blog.html(This message has been edited by stevejb)

The hoagie sale sounds good but I like the sit down meal fundraisers because you have the opportunity to use place mats and sell business size ads. Depending on your economic area you can get $25 to $50 an ad. A standard 11 X 17 mat will hold 25 ads @ $25 thats $625. We usually do two oversized place mats and generate $1500 from them alone.

LongHaul

(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

We also had a successful fund raiser, our Annual Ruimmage Sale. We filled he school gym with everyone's rummage. The only expense is about $150 in classified ads. We made over $2,250 in one day's work. It also help clean out our members attics and basements, and is a good fellowship activity. The leftovers are donated to the Cancer Federation, so there are more benefits there also.

Steve,

We tried a sit down once and it went over like a box of rocks. Lot's of prep work, many hours and about 800 net. For my troop anyway, they seem to require lot's of time.

We do the hoagies because it is

1. Make a phone call to order X hoagies

2. Pick them up

3. Sell them

4. 4 hours - done

We may try another sit down though - especially with the place mat idea ala longhaul

Longhaul,

I love the place mat idea......very creative

Eagle90,

Does your rummage sale basically go like this....

Hear ye, hear ye, bring out your dusty, good for nothing, stored away, unwrapped, never looked at again gifts and misc. products and donate them to the troop.

The troop then sells all the goods and keeps 100% of the profit????

YIS,

John

Has anyone ever tried canoe race or 5K/10K run?

Our town has a 4 day festival in July. We have a canal which runs a mile from town to the lock, several miles of river that runs parallel to the canal and miles on the towpath which is paved. We were discussing the possibility trying a single race or a triathlon style race. ANy suggestions?

JJ, How large of a town and what kind of traffic flow are we talking about, small town, mid-size city? How many vehicles per hour? Any drinks or just Hoagies? Same meat or different kinds? How many scouts? And WHO MADE 900 HOAGIES FOR YOU ON SAT. MORNING? Someone must really like your troop.(This message has been edited by ASM915)

ASM915,

They are made by a local deli. I don't know what time they get to work but it is probably the time the average scout falls asleep on a Friday night :-)

Is your July festival during 4th of July festivities? Perhaps a craft booth tailored to patriotic items. Maybe run a woodworking MB in April / May and make Uncle Sam items, etc. Then have the scouts staff the booth and sell them. Just a thought.

A race could be tough because I believe you have to pay for security, pay for police to block roads, etc

I run a golf tournament in April for our troop. I call it St. George's Cup. In three weeks we will have our second one. Last year we had 78 golfers and 15 diners and we made over four grand.

YIS,

John(This message has been edited by JerseyJohn)

Jersey John -

Thats exactly what we do. We request donations from our families and friends and fill up the gym. It's 100% profit except for the classified ads we run and the Krispie Kreme's for the workers! We also make it fun with a special traveling trophy to the family who donates the weidest, oddest, strangest item. This is the first event we normally have after the crossover and is a good way for the new families to meet with and work with our veterans. You'd be amazed at the amount of rummage you can collect year after year!

ASM915,

I forgot to elaborate on the other questions you had....

How large of a town and what kind of traffic flow are we talking about, small town, mid-size city?

Pretty much your standard, suburban township.

How many vehicles per hour?

No clue but not extremely heavy traffic and not light either.

Any drinks or just Hoagies? - Just hoagies

Same meat or different kinds? All Italian. Never order them with oil because the rolls get soggy pretty fast. Be sure they are individually wrapped.

How many scouts?

Every location had a Field Leader or Cmte member and a parent but the intersection had four adults, one per corner.

Ice cream place - 4 scouts

Church - 5 scouts

School parking lot 1 - 5 scouts

School parking lot 2 - 4 scouts

School parking lot 3 - 6 scouts

Supermarket - 4 scouts

Town Intersection - 8 scouts

WHO MADE 900 HOAGIES FOR YOU ON SAT. MORNING?

A local deli - they certainly are friendly, courteous and kind. I'm sure you could google and / or call around and find a similar deal in your neck of the woods.

I am the SM and Fundraiser guy + I do sales and marketing for a living, so I get a little creative. The name of this event is called "Hoagie Mania". Give an event a name with "flair" and the boys just can't stay away.

YIS,

John

• 3 weeks later...

John,

I have a few more questions.

What do you consider a standard suburban township? Our township has a population just over 13,000 with a small city in the middle (makes up part of the townships pop.). Two major routes through town, both with a fair traffic flow.

Was the deli a family run business or a chain? We have a Subway in town.

As for races, the Towpath trail runs for ever, in all over 100 miles with only one section not open yet. Also running south aout of town on the other side of the river is another trail at least 5 miles with a middle trail head at the 2 mle marker that could be used for a loop. There might be 50 yards of roadway between the two trails at the midway trailhead. The township police or County park rangers have been pretty good about assisting with races and walks for charitable org.'s in the past.

John,

I have a few more questions.

What do you consider a standard suburban township? Our township has a population just over 13,000 with a small city in the middle (makes up part of the townships pop.). Two major routes through town, both with a fair traffic flow.

Was the deli a family run business or a chain? We have a Subway in town.

As for races, the Towpath trail runs for ever, in all over 100 miles with only one section not open yet. Also running south aout of town on the other side of the river is another trail at least 5 miles with a middle trail head at the 2 mle marker that could be used for a loop. There might be 50 yards of roadway between the two trails at the midway trailhead. The township police or County park rangers have been pretty good about assisting with races and walks for charitable org.'s in the past.