Do we get the funds we need?

Some chat a few weeks back in the Sea Scout forum about money.

I have been having problems getting on to the site so I didn't participate.

Someone laid out a plan for upgrades that long term were going to cost a little over a million dollars.

This led to a debate about money.

Some said that there was no way they could even ever entertain the idea of such a large undertaking.

The reply to this was that we only ever get what we ask for.

They (Who ever they were?) went on to say that if you talk to units that have a budget of $5,000.00 a year. These units will say that they have a hard time raising that amount. But it seems when a unit has a budget of $50,000.00 a year they seem to do better. The $50,000 group tend to plan bigger and better events and people get behind them more.

Any thoughts?

Ea.

I don't know - but I think it is a matter of knowing your audience too. Trying to raise $50,000 each year might be better received in some larger metro areas (with a deeper pool of potential donors) than in small communities.

Me? I'd question whether a scout group really needs that kind of cash. But I understand that boats are costly and that's just me.

Eamonn also has a Sea Scout Ship and that pesky watercraft of his are a bottomless pit for $$$.

I will tell you my sons HS symphonic band is taking a 4 day trip to a music festival in the Rockies (yeah, go ahead and read into it, you're right). $500 a pop includes transport, condo, some food, fees etc. Gross price for 70-odd kids is $35K.

Been a lot of fundraising this year.

Spending money is easy. I'm good at it!!

$50k?? Boy that sounds like a lot of money.

But imagine the program that a unit could have with that sort of income.

I ordered some items for the Ship from West Marine, with my discount I spent close to $2,500.00. It arrived in two tiny little boxes!!

The last sail boat that was donated was in good shape, still before we could even pick it up the trailer needed over $300.00 spent just on tires. Add a VHF radio, compass and repairs and there goes close to another $1,000.00

Sadly our Scouts are no longer cute!!

It seems that parental intrest in their offspring wains as they get older!! Just transporting the boats and get the Scouts to where they need to be becomes a challenge.

Mooring a boat a marina isn't cheap.

Insurance is expensive.

Still my real question is: If we think small? Isn't that what we are going to get?

John-in-KC posts that the band needs $35K.

That doesn't seem to cover the cost of any uniforms or instruments that the band might need.

Still at some level someone or some group? Decided that this could be done and they have forged ahead to get it done.

Of course the Troop that attends the local Council Summer Camp each and every year and camps two miles from home in tents that the Scout provide and buy at the local Wal-Mart, can and will get by with very little income.

I just can't help wondering what would happen if we dream big?

Ea.