PRO WRESTLING FUNDRAISERS

My husband and I are former Den Leaders, and owners of a small family oriented pro wrestling promotion in Burlington County, NJ. We have hosted many fund raisers for many types of groups, and have steady clients such as Burlington County College and New Lisbon Developmental Center. Anyone interested in holding a Pro Wrestling Event, contact me at loisuwc@wmconnect.com. These events are fun for the kids and have a great earnings potential. Thanks.

I do not think this falls in line with BSA policies since it's a one-on-one physical contact sport such as karate. Which, as we all know (don't we?) is not allowed as an activity.

Mr. Steele, can you locate that page in your manual for me? :)

Sparkie

Any unit fundraiser must meet two basic criteria in scouting.

1. It must provide a product or service at a reasonable value.

2. It must be approved by the local Council.

Selling tickets to a sporting or entertainment event (your choice as to where Pro-style wrestling fits in) would qualify as selling a product. As to whether or not it is an appropriate activity would be up to the local scout council to determine. (No individual or collective opinion on a forum such as this would mean diddly, only the decision of the local council on a case by case basis counts)

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

All very good points! To be honest, I am not totally certain of the policies or criteria for fundraisers for Scouting.

Pro wrestling is deemed entertainment and not a sport. This is accurate.

We held a fundraiser for scouts 6-7 years back.

No ticket selling involved at all.

This idea was actually mentioned to me at a Roundtable meeting, from a council member., as a suggestion for entertainment for a Blue and Gold Banquet.

With our affiliation with Toys for Tots, Habitat for Humanity, Muscular Dystrophy Association, several fire houses and first aid squads, youth sporting and civil organization and education scholarship programs, plus benefits for individuals with handicaps (to name just a few), I really do beleive that there is a value to be made, but it would take a combined effort of all those involved.

Whether your group would want to consider a fund raiser, which of course would have to meet certain criteria., or would want entertainment for a special occassion such as a Blue and Gold banquet, I would be interested in discussing the possibility and seeing if this would fit into the realm of "appropriate and permissable".

Keep the comments coming, as I am learning as we go!

Thanks!

PS - In the meantime if you havent registered for the Toys for Tots Toy Drive Challenge, where your pack/troop can win one of four cash prizes by collecting the most new unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots, and as an added bonus, see a free wrestling show on December 6th at the Burlington County College's 6th Annual Toys for Tots Pro Wrestling Toy Drive on December 6th at the Pemberton Campus - be sure to register before October 15th for participation, or email me at loisuwc@wmconnect.com for more information.

UWCPROMOTIONS:

The possibility of a fundraiser between professional wrestlers and Scouting is not out of the realm of possibility, but Bob White is correct that it would have to be sanctioned by the local council. It's not a unit deal.

That being said, if the money doesn't come from ticket sales, I would need more information before I can advise. How would revenue for Scouting be generated? What kind of publicity would it cause for both parties?

I suggest you contact your local council fund-raising professional (s) or myself. The council will be listed in your local phone book under Boy Scouts of America.

I hope this helps.

Dave Steele

Good Answer FOG.

Pro Wrestling is not a sport, yet the entertainers are athletic.

Oh how I remember my youth heading to the National Guard Armory to watch wrasslin. Also a special memory was Saturday afternoons watching wrasslin with my grandfather. I miss that old geezer :)

AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FEEDBACK.

THE REASON WHY I EVEN POSTED ON THIS FORUM WAS BECAUSE THIS CONCEPT WAS SUGGESTED TO ME AT THE BURLINGTON COUNTY COUNCIL ROUNDTABLE.

I DO AGREE THAT AN EVENT WOULD HAVE TO BE SANCTIONED AND THAT MORE INFORMATION WOULD NEED TO BE PROVIDED.

I AGAIN THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION AND WILL CONTACT THE APPROPRIATE PERSON(S). IN THE MEANTIME, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME FOR MORE SPECIFICS, AS I HAVE NO TROUBLE EXPLAINING OUR PROGRAM.

LOISUWC@WMCONNECT.COM