Bad volunteers are like a cancer, says UK Scout Association director

I think it is a good and accurate metaphor; the question is WHO is the cancer? The person who is the uniform police or the slacker who undermines the uniform method? Maybe the person who acts like such a jerk regardless he turns folks away.

I knew such a person at my church. The secretary. Rude, overbearing, and she did a poor job to boot. Many capable folks, both paid staff and volunteer got discouraged and left because of her shenanigans. She was there for years--a institution--slowly poisoning the culture. But she was the main 'face' of the church for many years.

Bad choice of words, saying "Like a cancer" why do we need similies and metaphors when the English language is broad and deep enough to explain what we feel specifically. Bad Volunteers take the energy out of other, bad volunteers drive away other people. Why correlate cancer with bad volunteers, sorta gives Cancer a bad name

On another topic

"Every boy deserves a chance to be a scout....."

Oddly enough, I venture to say that the DE and District people feel the same way, the issue is in competing Visions and how to make the program happen. Thats the biggest problem in Scouting, In Volunteer organizations or in Sociey actually. We all want the same thing, Peace Love and Happiness (I am a child of the 60's as if you couldnt tell) the issue is accomplishing it is not as easy as it should be

Then again if everyone just did as I wanted them to, we would be fine

Too funny OGE.

District............I am not sure what the district is supposed to do for me......Camporees???? Recruiting?????? Cub activities???????? They do put on roundtable.....

So what is their vision for serving the boys?????

No clue....

The De maybe trying to fix the district committee.....via the resignations a month ago...........

No idea