Boy Scout policy on gays, atheists rankles California lawmakers

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/09/4477008/boy-scouts-policy-on-gays-atheists.html

The slap at the Boy Scouts came on the same day that the Senate's Judiciary Committee passed a bill banning minors from participating in controversial therapy programs to change their sexual orientations, and requiring adults to sign consent forms indicating they understand potential dangers.

Friction over the Boy Scouts was sparked by a proposed commendation, Assembly Concurrent Resolution 94, to applaud the group for its commitment to train youths in responsible citizenship, character development, leadership and public service.

"I'm sure that each of you has been personally affected by this organization," said Assemblyman Mike Morrell, a Rancho Cucamonga Republican who crafted the measure in honor of the Boy Scouts' 102nd anniversary.

Morrell said that he "didn't want to politicize this" by amending his proposal, as sought by Feuer, to blast the membership policy.

Feuer quickly turned thumbs down on ACR 94, saying that legislators should consider all aspects of an organization before touting it.

By comparison, if the Boy Scouts had decided to exclude African Americans, rather than homosexuals, lawmakers would not likely be crafting resolutions of support, Feuer said.

"I don't see the difference between discrimination based on race and on sexual orientation," Feuer added.

In a party-line vote, Democrats killed Morrell's resolution, then passed an alternative by Feuer that commended the Boy Scouts but urged it not to discriminate based on sexual orientation or religious belief.

Numerous other youth groups welcome members of all stripes, including Girl Scouts, Camp Fire USA, and Boys and Girls Clubs of America, according to Feuer's resolution.

Feuer's measure, Assembly Concurrent Resolution 128, now heads to the Assembly floor.

Discussions of California politics always relect me back to the movie The Last Chase where Lee Majors character is driving his old race car to Free California because that is the only state left where the laws still allow freedom of choice. I laugh because the irony is California today is one of the least freedom of choice states in our county. The laws have become so restrictive that more people leave the state than move there.

Taking away a persons freedom of choice doesnt change the mind.

Barry