Out of no where... (non scouting related)

Hope you will forgive me a non scouting post, I've posted over 800 Scouting post here and many have offered their support when I needed it so I wanted to share one more item...

Bit of background, My brother-in-law passed away just about a year ago. He had taken me in when I my home burned down years ago and I shared a lot with him. Since his passing I've done what I could to help out my sister and her kids (20+ y.o. twins). It's not much, just what you do for family. Some free labor, forgetting to bill for stuff out of my stock room and lots of free advice.

Yesterday at Easter diner my nieces boyfriend tracked me down. Figured he needed my help on his truck or was hoping to pick up some hours working for me. And to tell the truth, I don't have enough work to support myself lately.

He looked a bit shy as he started but he looked me in the eye and said "Since Jens dad is gone and your her godfather, I'd like to have your blessing..."

I like the kid and all, but dang, I'm to young for this kind of conversation. I gave him the blessing he asked for, gave him advice he didn't ask for and promised my support that he will need.

Latter that day after she got her ring she called me over to ask if I would walk he down the aisle. I told her that she has my support and that I will be proud to do it. (and offered some more free advice that she hadn't asked for.)

I cleared it with my 8 year old who said I could do it but that I was still "only hers" but since she loves Jen if would be OK.

Now when my own daughter was born I knew what was in store for me (or at least I thought so). But way back in my student days when my BIL asked me to be godfather I had no idea where this would lead to. I'll do what I promised him I would do, but it's not going to be easy. I'll be proud to do it but wish I could have watched it from my seat in the second row.

Talk about bringing back memories...

Wing, you should be appropriately proud and embarassed, but so what? As has been said, the effect you've had is not unexpected.

Be forwarned: Be ready to offer a toast or give a small remembrance at the wedding reception/dinner. Speak your heart, And don't hold back.

When my daughter from first marriage came to me to introduce her fiance, she was a grown woman, on her own. Unbeknownst to me, the new man in her life had somehow gotten on the wrong side of the mother. My ex, with whom I had a polite, if not really friendly relationship, could not be molified and so she did not attend the wedding. I gave the bride away in the traditional way, gave a small speech at the dinner, and cried openly. My present wife said she had never been prouder of me.

Mucho congratulations.

WOW! That's a DOUBLE honor!

Now days, it's a rare thing to hear a guy ask for somebodies blessing. Add to the fact that he could have seen you as just a relative and nothing more...then it is a double bl;essing.

Actually, It's a double blessiing with a huge dose of rspect and gratitude since you were askled to walk her down the aisle

OK Wingnut, thanks for that story and congrats!!! A huge honor and a big dose of respect and love thown in. :)

But now the people around me at work are looking at me strange, wondering why I am a little teary eyed. Lost my grand mother and my best friend in the last year and almost lost my brother so it kinda hit home.

Good luck and don't worry, real men (even Scouters)cry ;)