Philadelphia would sell building to Boy Scouts under proposed settlement

So far, I haven't seen any story mention if the land is part of the sale, all of them just refer to the building:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20101118_Philadelphia_would_sell_building_to_Boy_Scouts_under_proposed_settlement.html

Philadelphia would stop trying to evict the Cradle of Liberty Council Boy Scouts from its headquarters near Logan Square and instead sell the building to the organization at a cut-rate price, thereby ending a nearly decadelong dispute, under a proposed settlement.

The city-owned building, which the scouts have occupied for 80 years, would be sold for $500,000. Both sides agree its appraised value is at least $1 million. In return, the scouts would not seek $1 million in compensation from Philadelphia that they are entitled to under federal law.

The scouts would have two years to buy the building. In the meantime, the Cradle of Liberty Council would limit its operations to those the city believes do not discriminate.

Harrington said that meant no "traditional" scouting programs would be run out of the building and that most employees would vacate their offices until the scouts became the legal owners.

In other words, Philadelphia gets relief from paying $1M legal fees to the CoL attorneys ...

(If Philly is like most US cities, a $1M hit on the budget is tough to absorb in the current economy. I'd bet a dinner at the Golden Ox Philly is self-insured at the $1M level...).

Philadelphia gets $500K cash, which it probably needs.

CoL gets fee-simple ownership.

Yeah, I'd send CoL $20.

Moose,

As far as I understand it, they're not evicted...CoL won the suit that the city filed to try to evict them. Since CoL won, they are entitled to seek compensation for their legal fees...at Philadelphia's expense. The two year period would just be the actual time frame that is agreed upon for transfer of ownership. Essentially, the city is trying to get out of paying the $1m in legal fees by saying "you can buy the building at a discount rate, and we won't have any grounds to attempt evicting you". At least that's if I understand all of this correctly.

YIS,

Ryan

So what is the bit about :

In the meantime, the Cradle of Liberty Council would limit its operations to those the city believes do not discriminate.

Harrington said that meant no "traditional" scouting programs would be run out of the building and that most employees would vacate their offices until the scouts became the legal owners.

The newspaper adds they have another council office that they will be moved to for awhile. Sounds like they need to not use the building until they buy it if they are going to continue to follow the BSA rules that discriminate.

S

There is another Council facility in Valley Forge, from before the 1996 merger of Philadelphia and Valley Forge Councils. Since the area that Cradle of Liberty covers is large both geographically, and demographically, they decided to keep both centers open and run out of both offices.

Additionally, I wouldn't put too much stock in any Philadelphia journalism...90% of it is yellow journalism garbage, which is why I refuse to buy the Inquirer or Daily News. As of this writing, Cradle of Liberty's website hasn't mentioned the issue (http://colbsa.org).(This message has been edited by nugent725)

• 1 month later...

A buyer appears

http://phillyrealestate.citybizlist.com/2/2010/12/21/Heifetz-Offers-to-Buy-Boy-Scout-Building-for-1.5M.aspx

"Philanthropist and businessman Mel Heifetz submitted an offer to purchase the City-owned Winter Street property that is currently occupied by the Cradle of Liberty Council of the Boy Scouts near Logan Square.

Heifetz, owner of a 48-room boutique hotel in Philadelphia, has offered $1.5 million for the property with the intent of donating it "to a nonprofit organization that does not discriminate." Heifetz opposes the Boy Scouts stand on homosexuals in its hiring policies and membership enrollment.

Heifetz is a former Eagle Scout who led a scout troop while in the armed services on an American Air Force base in Germany. He currently owns and manages more than 150 apartment units in Center City.

Heifetz's offer is in direct response to a proposal to sell the City-owned property, at far below the fair market value, to the Boy Scouts. That action, he believes, is contrary to a city law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or expression, age and mental or physical disability. The City has offered to sell this property for $500,000 to the Scouts, a million dollars below Heifetz's offer.

..."