Reality on Obama?

. . . so what's what with Obama?

(a) did he really just not show up at the Jamboree, when he had agreed in advance to be on the program? (I have a hard time believing this)

(b) does his printed signature appear on an Eagle certificate?

I can appreciate that scouting includes some conservative members who would like to bash Barack, but I'd like to know the facts here.

I thought he appeared at the Jamboree on a screen, rather than in person. I don't see any problem with that and actually I think it makes more sense, both to minimize the crowd-control problems that existed with past presidential appearances (due mostly to security measures) and for reasons of security itself. Do they run everybody coming into a Jamboree through a metal detector? (Including visitors?)

Here we go again.

The BSA admitted it was told well in advance that the President's schedule would preclude him from appearing in person at the Jamboree. I'll take the BSA's word on this - after all, we are supposed to be Trustworthy. Instead, he appeared on video, as have other President's before him.

Yes, the President's signature appears on Eagle certificates - as with all new Presidents, there is a period of time before it appears. Someone who doesn't understand the program obviously jumped the gun.

Edited to take out the intemperate question that deserves to be asked but is rather un-Scoutlike.

(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

Yah, Sherm :)

What's fascinatin' is how this stuff gets passed around in viral emails and never seems to die. I'm on da conservative side politically, but I just don't have much patience for the out-and-out lying. It suggests that we conservatives don't have a strong enough intellectual argument about da proper role of government in a society, that we have to resort to creating this kind of silly fiction.

So, Mr. Boyce, President Obama was invited to attend da Jamboree either in person or by video. He chose to "attend" by video. No different than Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush in his first term. As mentioned, lots of folks were relieved, because an in-person presidential appearance can be a real mess, especially now with "terror alert" security measures. Like da GWB visit to the 2005 Jambo where not allowing bottles of liquid resulted in all those kids with heat injuries.

And his signature does appear on Eagle certificates. I'm looking at one right now.

Beavah

• 2 weeks later...