Progressive Parents...

One reason GSUSA loses membership is that its National Staff is completely divorced from its local volunteers in terms of values and vision. Just look at the new prgram they're rolling out to replace Studio 2B, which was fairly well rejected by the girls and troop leaders. If GSUSA wants to get its numbers up, then it needs to go right back to pure scouting basics, character through outdoor education and good deeds. Its advocacy/activism program, officially a curriculum, is already making the local volunteers nervous and wary, and it isn't even out yet.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gern,

Faith IS PART of the product...

Look at the oath and law. What are the Bookends?

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God...

A Scout is Reverent.

Everything else in the middle amplifies on those two. That was told me by a District Commissioner.

Faith is an explicit requirement in the Cub Scout Program at Bear, Achievements 1 and 2. In fact, the requirement for Achievement 2 is earn the age appropriate religious emblem.

Faith is an explicit requirement in the Venturing Program at Religious Life Bronze and Trust Award. A major muscle group portion of these is to earn the age appropriate religious emblem.

In fact, through my faith communities' rep to the National Religious Relationships Committee, some of us Christian folk are going to ask why earning the age-appropriate religious emblem is not an explicit requirement of the S-L-E matrix. Again, I care not if the youth is Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Islam, ad infinitum, but I care that he is grounded in his faith.

But, BSA at least *appears* to occupy this planet. I can't say that about GSUSA above the council level.

And, because someone asked, at the 2008 National Convention in Indianapolis GSUSA was sending this out to vendors:

2.6 million girls and nearly 1 million adults members (99% volunteer)

1 in 10 school aged girls in the US is a Girl Scout

68% of US Congresswomen were Girl Scouts

Approximately 50 million women have been influenced by Girl Scouts directly. ( I take that to mean 50 million females currently residing in the US have participated at some level and some point in thier lives.)

John,

Let me address your question, "...why earning the age-appropriate religious emblem is not an explicit requirement of the S-L-E matrix?"

Many, perhaps most, BSA youth are members of mainstream faiths for which there is indeed a recognized religious award. However, for many youth of minority faiths, there simply is no approved religious award program. As just one example, Wiccan youth still have no award.

Vicki,

I'm not convinced by that argument. How do you explain these verses:

" 26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done." Romans 1:26-28

" Covenant of the Goddess sponsors the Over the Moon award and Hart and Crescent for Wiccan Youth. It may not be approved by BSA, but there is something out there."

In theory these exist. As a practical matter, they may not.

WE have a superb Wiccan Scouter in our council and I nominated him for the "Hart and Crescent Distinguished Service Award" offered by the Covenant of the Goddess including paying the cost of the award personally. I first wrote them 18 months ago and then again about 9 months ago. I haven't heard a word. In my second letter, I asked if the award was not granted to let me know but still have heard nothing.

NeilLup-

I'm 15 minutes east of Berkeley. The only address in Berkeley on the entire web site is a PO Box. No phone number, either. If you can get me the address of a door to knock on and some info, I'd be happy to try to help out. PM me offline if you'd like me to do any legwork for you.