LA Fire Dept. closer to dropping Learning for Life

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John KC: "I would hope BSA's attorneys closely scrub the products for copyright infringement. That goes ditto for Camp Fire, Boy's Clubs, Big Brothers, and GSUSA."

That's interesting. I hear a call from many that those who disagree with BSA policies should just go start their own program, but they better not steal any of BSA's ideas.

Exactly my point. If you want to start-up your own youth serving program, don't re-use copyrighted stuff. Create your own from whole cloth.

BSA, GSUSA, Camp Fire, Boys Clubs, BigBrothers/BigSisters all deserve fair compensation for the work their authors put into program materials. Now, do I suspect that the National Executives of these programs run into each other at various meetings and share ideas, and possibly professionals? Yes. The point is they've established how to make things win/win.

The late entrant has to contend with the challenge.

BTW, I'm not a believer in fair use. I've been following the JK Rowling lawsuit in the US District Court with some interest...

I believe that Trevorum has the most important point. LFL was a way for the BSA to appease the left by having a program that had essentially no membership requirements other than being a youth or adult leader. In many councils, LFL is using funds raised for traditional scouting thus weakening those programs. LFL has never become the entirely separate entity as promised. I believe that if LFL is rejected in California, it will be eventually elsewhere. So it is time to at least separate the two programs or perhaps scuttle LFL as it does not seem to be appeasing the left.

GW,

If they go out to a Council property to do a high-ropes COPE course, they're using a youth-serving organizations property, but are not members. They get to pay the non-member rate.

If they do everything they need to do at the fire academy, more power to them.

Finally, yes, I'm referring to the Lexicon lawsuit...

"If they go out to a Council property to do a high-ropes COPE course, they're using a youth-serving organizations property, but are not members. They get to pay the non-member rate."

Well . . duh! I don't do Exploring but I doubt that Fire Explorers would need to do much at outside facilities and the annual visit to the COPE course isn't going to break the budget.

Well well well. Another good program gone that could be helping youth. I gues it will be better that the kids are out to do all kinds of evil on the streets.

Gern,

I suppose you think the Boy Scouts should now allow gays and atheists because gays and atheists didn't make Learning for Life a "bad" program. It's not the same.