Who will help with my taxes?

I find it hard to blame Republicans for our nations debt, even though George W. Bush has not shown the wisdom of fiscal conservatism.

The all time biggest federal spending programs were all put in place by Democrats years ago. Social Security, Medicare, Medicade, etc.

Recently Bush vetoed the State Children's Health Insurance Program (a rare exercise in his fiscal restraint) and he was attacked for not caring about children. This program would have cost many billions and could only have forced a raise of taxes.

I see all the Democratic Presidential canidates proposing huge national health insurance program - thats a sure fire way to bankrupt our country even more.

And to blame the Republicans for the falling American dollar? Please! How about commodity prices, such as copper, gold, and oil which have helped the Canadian dollar to skyrocket (Canada is a great exporter of such resources) - the US dollar has not fallen at nearly a comparable rate to other foreign currencies.

In reality, all spending by all both parties is simply financed mostly by . . . the printing presses of the Federal Reserve - turning paper into money - and this will only be acceptable as long as others take our fiat money.

It is a shame that a middle class mother can not stay at home with her family anymore and when she says how she would like to is attacked as insensitive.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Postal System works pretty well. I think it might be one of the few in the world that operates without government funding.

Amtrak? What's the problem with Amtrak? They don't make a profit? Few, if any, passenger only lines do make a profit and in most countries they are heavily subsidized by the government. Airlines survive largely by cargo and mail contracts.

So why do we have Amtrack then? Why do we subsidize it? I don't use it. I really don't know anybody that does. Our taxes are going to keep paying for it though. No wonder why the nation is running into bankruptcy.

But thats another topic for another day . . .

Thank you TheScout,

I appreciate your understanding of my position. Even though my "whining" about having to go back to work full time looks petty and selfish to some, I have to do what is best for my family. It is definitely best for me to be at home. Even though my kids would love to have all the material things that their "rich" friends have, any time I have asked them if they wished I were back at work, they say, "No, we'd rather have you home." They remember what it was like when I was stressed out all the time, and none of us wants to go back to that.

As for the S-CHIP, I was relieved that Pres. Bush didn't bend to pressure. At the risk of looking like a mean old child hater, he stood up for the people who would have been taxed in order for kids who don't need govt. health insurance to get more insurance. My kids would have qualified under S-CHIP, while at the same time, my husband would have been taxed more to help pay for it. No thank you. We'd rather stick with our private insurance, and let the kids who really need help get the help.

We will eventually end up with some kind of government sponsored healthcare system. This is because big business wants out of the health insurance business.

In the USA you have GM, GE and many other executives thinking about, how can we control health care costs to increase my bottom line to get our stock price up? In Japan and Europe the execs are thinking about what the next best car should look like or run on or what products to develop or how to make them better to increase sales to improve their bottom line to get their stock price up.

At some point American businesses will go to the politicians they've paid for and say, " You need to help us out here. We can't compete against foriegn companies that don't provide health insurance." and they will.

If a Republican is elected they just need to figure out a way to package it so it doesn't look like it was something Hillary Clinton thought up 10 years ago.

If Hillary is elected they'll say, that was a great idea. Let the government be responsible for healthcare and we'll go back to making cars, or whatever.

SA(This message has been edited by scoutingagain)

As I sat here all weekend with a fever and excrutiating abdominal pain trying to give birth to a kidney stone, I have done a lot of thinking. I went to an urgent care Friday night, and they gave me an x-ray, Vicodin and a referral to a urologist. The first available appointment is January 4. Sheesh. They said if I didn't like it, I could go sit in the ER with those without insurance who have the sniffles. I've already missed a week of work thinking it was just a stomach flu. And I have real good insurance. I can't imagine what National Health care would be like...

I'm also wondering what will happen to my health insurance if the Dems don't fund the war effort and the Secretary of Defense makes good on his threat to lay off 200,000 DoD civilians without pay for 30 days or more. Saber rattling...maybe. But it's still stressful to think about. We've spent significantly less on Christmas this year, thinking that maybe we'll need that money to pay the bills without any income for a month or more.

The good news is the federal exemption for estate tax is $2 million and for 2009 will rise to $3.5 million. In my family, we'll never see those amounts. I am for the fair tax...or a national sales tax. Tax consumption, not income and savings.

For me, the future of the scouts with whom I work seems very difficult. Our generation, the one that was so idealistic at one time, will leave a tragic burden to overcome. And to think that less than 8 years ago, I was encouraged that our national budget was actually in balance, and the debt was decreasining.

If the billions that have blown to the winds in the Middle East had instead been mortgaged to repair our own country, it would be at least a bit more acceptable. Every time I hear the cry that we cannot afford to fix our schools, transportation infrastructure, hospitals, or less fortunate, it galls me to the bone; especially when the next moment, these same people want to throw billions more that we do not have at problems in other parts of the world. Again, if the monies were to be used in monitored, beneficial programs to help these people pull their boots, then it would not be so upsetting.

But, back to the realities of simply doing what little I can. I will vote, because if I don't, I have not set the example I should; but my faith in our so called representatives is pretty thin.

Skeptic wears not very rosy glasses.

Yeah there Funscout, I think Beavah is right and you're buying into some of the hysteria and hype. But, while we're playing this game, let me turn the tables. Who is going to educate my kid? Surely not the Republicans. Thanks to the bazillions now being wasted in foreign adventures and through the poorly executed NCLB, my kid is tested more than ever before, but his school district has been forced to cut enrichment programs, special classes, and after school activities. They can't afford to buy enough books for all the kids in his grade so he isn't allowed to bring some of his textbooks home to study from. They laid off teachers again this year, despite being one of the fastest growing districts in the state. They have 2 high schools but only have enough money to operate one of them so they're doubling up. If I want my kid to go to a better school in my area, that means expensive private school, and you know what, I get to pay for that in addition to paying the local taxes to support the public school! I'd far rather the gov't actually funded schools to a level where the public school system was uniformly excellent but instead what we have are a lot of holding tanks where any kid who isn't "average" is just plumb out of luck.

And who is going to pay for my clean(ish) water to drink or air to breath? Hey, guess what, doesn't appear to be the Republicans. Under Bush, the budget of the EPA's enforcement division has been slashed. EPA repository libraries have been closed with almost no prior warning, meaning documents that might be vital to future environmental research are literally shoved in a box somewhere, inaccessible. Meanwhile, our president has made sure to look out for his buddies in the oil industry. I know they'll take care of the environment, right?

So sure, we can complain about one party or the other (and some are sure to quibble with what I've blamed the Republicans for here - note that I realize there's more complexity to the above than what I've posted here, please). But I really don't think it is realistic to suppose that either side is truly "out to get" us - the Dems "tax and spend" label is about as inaccurate as the Reps' "heartless greedy bastards" label. Really, it would be better not to buy into the Fox and Friends type of media coverage of either party.

Democrats have been raising taxes since way before Fox news. Actually I don't even watch Fox news. I watch very little T.V. these days, as I prefer to spend time with my family.

I don't know of anyone else who is worried about taxes like I am, so I didn't get this idea from any hysteria that may or not be out there. It is all my own idea. I am worried about my family, and frankly I have wondered why I never hear anyone else complain about this issue. It has bothered me ever since I got my first paycheck and saw how much the government took out of it. Talk about a shocker!

I worked in the schools for 17 years, so I know what it is like. NCLB had the right idea, but not the funding, so I agree that it hasn't helped as much as it should have. However, as a former teacher, I can say that more money would not have made my co-workers better teachers. Some of them were naturally good at teaching, and others obviously chose the profession for the vacations, not for their talents.

I feel for you LisaBob, because not everyone lives in an area with good public schools. My husband and I moved to a small town before we had children, because of the good reputation of its school system. I taught in a much bigger city, and I knew I did not want my future kids going to school there. I don't know what the answer is for improved schools. I'm afraid it might take the private sector to improve them, because govt. has certainly been failing at it.

To bring back the good old States Rights argument again . . .

Aren't education, libraries, drinking water all state or local responsibilities?

Once again the federal government (both parties) are rather horrible at everything they do. Thats why the Republicans (generally, or at least so they claim) want it to do less.

Funscout,

I think you said it well with:

(generally, or at least so they claim)

Political parties are marketing experts, because it works. Drape your party in the flag, and make the other party out to be the ruin of the country, all with broad brush sound bites and marketing slogans. Make some claims, and make them often enough so that they become truisms, whether in fact or perception.

Both parties have shown their desire to spend money. Constituents demand it - whether it is paid for by taxes today, or borrowed and the debt given to our children. Advantages and disadvantages to each method, and which is better/worse depends on point of view.

My kids live in what is considered to be one of the best school systems in the country and I think that it is horrible because the kids are taught to pass THE TEST and not to think. They throw over a billion dollars a year at eduction and still the product is no better than it was 30 years ago, maybe it's even worse.

Who is going to pay for the water and air? Who should? American industry spent 200 years polluting it. Now companies are moving their manufacturing to China so they can continue to pollute. Stockholders and CEOs don't care about clean air, they are like the Ferengi and only care about profit.

Everybody wants to see taxes cut and the budget balanced but the only way to do that is to cut spending. Unfortunately, no one wants to cut spending. Cut education dollars? Oh no, my kids won't have new computers to help them learn to read. Cut defense? No, we need the highest technology to fight people not long out of the bronze age. Transportation? VA? Health?

Gloom, despair, and agony on me...

I prefer to take the long, bright view. We live at a time of unbelievable capabilities. Over the last 100 years our productivity has increased immensely. Our life spans have increased to record levels. We live in bigger houses and drive better cars, on average. We live in a country with tremendous freedom. Our taxes are relatively low, as is our unemployment and inflation. We have a stable government and our currency is reliable enough to be the world's standard. High-school graduation and college graduation rates are high. Our environment is becoming less polluted - species are moving off the endangered species list. We have more national parks, more state parks, and more national trail systems being completed.

Sure, we should advocate and support the causes we believe in, to keep things moving in the right direction. But long-term - it's been an incredible ride so far - and the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

You all have a mess of issues and I have no idea where to start! I am probably going to be criticized up and down for some of the things I am about to say. Oh well. I guess Ill remind you that this is coming from an 18 year-old. Lets see.. I guess since the topic was originally taxes, Ill start there.

Ill flat out tell you that I know little about taxes. I know that at one job, they take out taxes and at my other job they do not take out taxes. One is a private fitness center/physical therapy clinic and the other is a state university. I know that I pay some sort of tax on most things that I buy. Illinois even has a tax on gasoline.

One reason the national budget was nearly balanced during Clintons term and is not so much now has a lot to do with the Department of Defense. Clinton, I believe, cut the military almost in half! Well, theres a big chunk of money gone each year out of the budget. DOD makes up a good percentage of the national budget. This caused massive spending to be needed when the War on Terror was started in October 2001 and then eventually Operation Iraqi Freedom. Vehicles needed updated, body armor needed updates, research was done for a variety of things. In recent years, weve seen the Marine Corps and the Army adopt new uniforms that of course are totally different. The Navy is in the process of moving toward a new uniform and the Air Force is also in the final stages of its new uniform. Also, the military has increased numbers as best as possible creating more jobs. Finally, of course, we are paying millions (billions?) each day for Iraq.

People complain about how poor our service members have it, and I wouldnt want to be in their positions truthfully, but it does get old. People saying that troops are sent against their will. Every single one of the soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen overseas knew they signed up to defend their country. They are doing their jobs! Remember, we have a volunteer army-- not many countries can say that. I know of at least one person at my school who nearly joined the Air Force because he didnt have the money to go to school. Instead, he was going to let the Air Force pay for his college. I absolutely do not support that. You are either there to protect this country or youre not. And if youre not, dont join the service to begin with. Do I think we should do away with education funds for service members? Im not sure. With that said, I truthfully thank those who do serve and I support them.

Education is so screwed up. From the top all the way to the bottom. College prices are outrageous. Public schools in many parts of the country are also in extreme trouble. They dont get the funding that is needed for many of them to operate for the best of the community. I know of many that are overcrowded. My high school had 950 students in it while the building was extremely outdated and the recommended capacity for the building was right around 600 students. It has taken the school district 18 years to pass a referendum to build a new high school. Instead, taxpayers kept allowing them to build smaller elementary and middle schools which were typically full within 3-4 years. Now that the referendum passed, the state has been slow (thanks Rod Blag) to fund the project more. Meanwhile we have schools that are all of 150 students or all of 200 students. Wouldnt it make more sense to combine small schools like that so you can get more tax money to do a better job? The NCLB is a mess. Here, meet these requirements. If you dont, youll lose your job. Oh, and do with without any funding too! And now everything is based off of a test. If it isnt on a test, its not important. So how do students learn this material? They find a way to remember it for a few weeks, but once that test is over that material is gone!

And on to health care. Why should I pay for your health care? Are you paying for mine? Many countries have found the universal health care is not effective. Tear your ACL.. great youre athletic career is over. Why? Because an athlete is looking at a 6 month rehab period AFTER surgery before being able to return to play. It will take at least 12 months to return to 100%. BUT, an ACL surgery is going to be low on the list. It probably wont happen for several months after the injury. Thats just one example.

How about we remove ILLEGAL aliens so we arent paying for their health care, their education, and their food. Wouldnt that make sense? Ah, but that would be racist I guess. And we must remember that the whole world should like us. Kick their butts out like the law says, and costs will go down! Pretty simple!

So, it was mentioned above about the money being spent in other countries. Gee, I wonder who is shelling that money out or making the United States shell it out. Maybe the United States should leave the United Nations (or as I prefer to call them the Un Neccessaries). When the tsunamis hit a couple years ago, they cried foul when the US only funded 85% of the recovery and rescue efforts. Also, the United States make up quite a bit of any UN coalition when a military presence is needed. In return, we get criticized for protecting ourselves.

Well, I could go on and on. But I think Ill stop now because this is plenty for you all to nitpick through. If youll notice, I mentioned one politicians name only. I dont believe that I mentioned a single political party. Neither one of them is very good. For that reason, I look forward to NOT voting in 2008.