Eugene Evans (of Evans v. Berkeley) arrested for molesting Sea Scouts

I asked someone who says he was a past member of the same Sea Scouts ship with Evans about whether two-deep leadership was followed:

http://www.haloscan.com/comments/insidebayarea/7649274/?src=hsn

Farallon Old Timer yes you probably know me. Brian; Some Crusises might have a Mate or two to help out (a mate would be 18-21 and would have been on the ship during high school and graduated from the program). Work parties, practice, driving trips, Evans would be the only adult 90% of the time. Parents were not invited. I would have had a very hard time believing this but that one of my life long friends on the ship told me about it 25 years later. He and several others had been molested to some degree. He had no reason to come up with this and he had nothing to gain hes moved on and will never have anything to do with Evans.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Berkeley and San Jose papers:

Eugene Austin Evans, the Berkeley scoutmaster who sued the city after it refused a free berth to a Sea Scout ship because of the organizations anti-gay policies, was arrested Tuesday on six counts of child sexual abuse.

Another 18 counts were added later by the Alameda County District Attorneys office, charging ongoing acts with four youths. The crimes were allegedly carried out on the troops ship after scout meetings.

Berkeley Police Youth Services Detail investigators served warrants at several locations, including Evans home in Kensington, said Sgt. Mary Kusmiss, the department spokesperson.

Evans' neighbor Rory Fischer said he often saw youngsters at the house working on a small boat.

Merlyn, some of the things you mention, like a work party or "practice", don't require two-deep under scouting rules (or under soccer team rules, or....). An outing does, if that's what a driving trip is. So we find a child molester broke a rule.

The points are that

1) the molestation occurred in private, after events, at multiple locations. That's how predators work, eh? Just the way eolsen describes. No regulation is goin' to stop that, and its darn hard for parents or any supervisor to catch it.

2) the BSA is not the supervisor of unit activities, the Chartered Organization is.

So even granting everything you're saying, there just isn't any BSA fault in the matter, beyond what we might do better to teach parents and kids about recognizin' and reportin'.

Sometimes da only person to blame is the bad guy. :(

Beavah