Philadelphia Scouts May Losa Headquarters

Merlyn,

I never said there were any inaccuracies. I was asking you if you saw any & you pointed out one.

OK an asset the city now has to take care of. The BSA handled the maintenance to this point. Don't assume anything. I think it would be a hoot if someone rented the building then sub-let it to the BSA for free!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

Though hating the thought of feeding the Merlyn/Ed Road Show, some things I wonder about.

Ed says it will now be a tax burden to the City? How?? The property is already City property - and in most jurisdictions, government property is not taxed. I don't believe this property is taxed now (its City property with a Non-profit IRS 501c3 Organization in it). Its not likely to return to the tax rolls unless the City sells the property.

Maintenance burden? Yes - but as Merlyn points out, not if they get another person to lease the building.

Calico

Government property used for government purposes is typically not taxed, but if city property becomes revenue generating, it is possible that another entity can tax it (i.e. a public health district, school district, county, fire district, etc).

It does become an expense for the city in terms of maintenance that doesn't exist today, and that expense will be passed along to the next tenant or the taxpayers.

Technically, they really don't even need to find another home -- COL had two service centers -- they also have one in Valley Forge. There's probably no reason admin functions couldn't be run out of the remaining center, with the rest of the professional staff being home based.

I'm fairly certain BSA won't give up on its people quite as easily as the City has given up on BSA. They'll find a way to keep servicing the units in PHL.

The New York Times has a front page article, that the case has been decided in favor of the city, not the Scouts --

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/us/06scouts.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1196957788-GMtw/gZhfpj6nLskXdZPGQ

I am sad for the boys themselves in this district, their families, and the Scouters. I've been in Scouting long enough to know that replacing this facility is likely well outside the budget of the council. I am sure they are doing great work.

At 50, a lifelong Scouter myself, with a son in his first months of Boy Scouts -- the BSA policy is wrong and must be changed.

It infuriates me that the issue of a boys sexuality has any place at all in BSA.

I have no reason to believe that my son, who is 11, might be gay. But what if he is? What if, in the next 5 + years, as he grows an matures -- that he is?

Would I be surprised, need to take a deep breath -- yes, clearly.

My boy loves Scouting -- he had a great time and learned so much in Cub Scouting. His transition into Boy Scouts has been great. He is severely learning disabled -- and its a real challenge for him to advance. He's doing it and I'm so proud of him.

So, when he's older, say 17 -- if he realizes that he is probably gay not straight -- he must keep his mouth shut or withdraw from an organization, his friends, mentors, his Troop because of it?

Last night was a Board of Review for Star. This young Scout, when asked about how the Scout law works in his life -- in a heartbeat was able to talk about being honest, being trustworthy.

In a few years, when I hope to sit on his Eagle Board of Review -- I want him to be honest, to be trustworthy -- and he deserves that back from us, too.

What if he believes he might be gay? Then what?

I'm really struggling -- I appreciate the discussion here --

Pete