Global politics and scouting

I have to agree, but I think people are basically the same at a very basic level. We all feel similar emotions (love, fear, etc.), we all have the same basic needs, and we all have the capacity to do good or evil, to deceive or to be honest. We definitely do these things in different environments and with different histories and resources, though, and that may partly explain some of the other differences.

One of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain is (doing my best to get it right), "You can take a starving dog and feed it and make it prosper...and it will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

So true.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some thoughts related to the last few posts.

First, I've had a chance to travel and work in many parts of the world, including the mid-east. When I've talked to co-workers during these travels, it's been my observation what they want out of life is for the families to be safe, healthy and happy, they have a safe home, and a job where they can provide for their families. Basically the same stuff we do. While in Saudia Arabia, I had a very interesting conversation with one of my counterparts about family camping. Where they camp, what they do etc. These basic desires have been true in Saudia Arabia, Kuwait, China, Columbia, Canada and Europe. The main difference is that in some of these countries, people have never had the opportunity to live under a government where "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is an inherent right of the people. In some places, the government basically defines this for the people. Basically the government says you'll live our way, be happy and if you don't like it you go to jail. If you try and change things, we'll kill you.

So, while we know what benefits freedom and democracy can bring to a country and a people, for those that have never experienced it, it's hard to explain. To paraphrase Jimmy Buffet it's like trying to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.

For Iraqis who've only known some type of authoritarian government, telling them we're going to bring you democracy, but all they see are US military personnel driving in their streets in HUMVEEs, armored vehicles in full combat gear with weapons, going into peoples home and arresting folks, it sure seems like just another military dictatorship even if they do get to vote.

While I can think of several instances where authoritarian rule has been forced on another country or people(Rome, the Soviet Union) I can't think of a situation where democracy has been forced on a people or country.

SA