Screaming Irony

This would be a very useful discussion if one were studying math, algebra, geometry or considering purchasing a Micky D's franchise. I don't see much of value here with regard to the BSA. In fact, I'm not sure I see the relevance of much here to anything.

If we're talking about disparity in treatment of St Jean and Smith (and I believe way back there, we were), there may or may not have been. However, if anyone expects the BSA to operate anymore perfectly than any other organization, they are being unrealistic.

I have said before that the men who run BSA are the professionals, because their livelihoods depend on it. It's sort of like the politicians we have: we elect them, we pay their salaries and yet they pretty much do what they durn well please.

If you are going to be a volunteer in Scouting, you have to take it as it is. That doesn't mean you can't involve yourself in attempts at change. Get elected to the executive board, be part of your district committee, if you want.

As for me, my philosophy has always been to look out for myself and my unit. I take the training, stay in touch with council programs and touch base with my DE once in while. I don't agree with everything that national or local council does, but most of it doesn't affect me. I hate it when they sell of properties like Owasippe and MacGregor Smith, but there isn't much I can do about it.

Those men at national are not stupid. They have a finger up at all times, testing the winds. When wind directions change, so do they. Somewhat like churches, they may change slowly and sometimes they miss the mark, but what organization doesn't?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to over-generalize and paint with too broad a brush, but some of you guys are the worst Metaphor-ists on the planet. If we could stay away from sinking ships, fast food chains and our very own special mixture of Algebra and Geometry, I think we might more often make sense to each other.

Better yet, could we just let this particular thread die its only ugly little death. If there's still a conversation being held, it's kind of hard to find and could easily be started fresh (if absolutely necessary!?)in a new thread.

jd