Better Than Good.

My boss informed me last week that we were going to attend a "Get Motivated Seminar" I'm unsure if he thought I was in need of a little motivation or what?

To say that I wasn't overjoyed with the idea of spending a day doing nothing when I have so much to do would be a great understatement. But I'm happy to take my pay check, so I didn't make a fuss.

The first presenter was Zig Ziglar. He spoke for two hours but it flew by. He was very informative,entertaining, funny and very upbeat. He spoke about taking ownership of what we do and how important it is that we use the I word.

He then almost blew my socks off. He said how the Scout Oath started with I.

He then repeated the Scout Oath.

I could almost feel the passion he has for the BSA along with the love he has for this organization.

At the very start of his presentation he said when people ask him "How are you? His reply is " I'm doing better than good!!"

I have been allowed myself to become a little down in the dumps with this forum over the past week or two.

It seems that I was allowing myself to buy into some of the negative stuff that has been posted.

I was wrong.

So once again I promise to do my best to do my duty to God and my country....

I take ownership of what I will do not only at home, at work but also in Scouting and I'm doing better than good.

Eamonn.

Wow! How way cool!

Zig has always been one of my favorites! I remember that he said that when we are asked how we are doing, we should answer, "GREAT!".

In case we truely aren't doing very well at that moment, we are not telling a lie, we are just telling the truth in advance:) !

Silver Buffalo, BSA Executive committee....how fortunate for us!

Really!

Eamonn-

Sorry to hear that you have been down in the dumps about the forum. I bear some blame for your attitude. I tend to skip past a lot of the negative and leave the heavy lifting for you and some others to handle. I do value your opinions and have learned much from reading your posts. I choose to not be drug into some of the hair-splitting and sometimes rancorous discussions. They do have value and clarify the thinking of many of the participants, but I often think that some posters are speaking to an agenda that is not relevant to me.

I hope you will continue to post to the forum as I enjoy reading your take on many issues and find I am generally in agreement with you.

Ziglar also hosts the Baptist Scouting tape ("Baptists and Scouting: Building Values Together", 1998) available from the Relationships Division. He does a great job on it.

Sorry, I don't have a bin number, but I'm pretty sure it is available to Councils at no charge. Your local Relationships Committee may have one.

Yes Ed it was at the Mellon Arena the extra 15,000 people that came into the burgh didn't do much to help with rush hour.

NJCubScouter the other day I was agreeing with you when you pointed out how hurtful the Shakespearean quotes are, having a little Sister who has been called to the Bar had a lot to do with it!!

You are of course right- So the best thing I can do is open mouth and insert foot!!

No you didn't miss the memo.

Hey !! It's hard to talk even with an English accent when you have a foot in your mouth - I sound just like the Queen. :)

Eamonn.

In the movie, 8 Days A Week(1997) starring Joshua Schaefer and Keri Russell, Keri Russell's father, played by Patrick O'Brien, quotes a man named Zig Ziglar. I thought it was some made up name, I had no idea that the there was an inspirational speaker named Zig Ziglar. Thanks for the information.