Banning the Boy Scouts

>So, even if BSA allowed girls, gays and atheists, you and the ACLU would still oppose federal support because it is a private organization?

I can't speak for the others, but my answer would be, yes.

I suppose those that disagree are those typical tax and spend liberals that want to take all the money I earn and have the government redistribute it.

SA

I think the bigger issue to all of this is choice. We all have choice. The BSA has made its choices. People who don't like the BSA's choices will make their choices.

If people don't like the traditional path of the BSA, they have a choice to do something else. Patti Garibay did. She's the founder of a 10-year-old scouting organization called American Heritage Girls. She was a former Girl Scout leader who became dissatisfied with the direction in which GSUSA was moving. So she started her own scouting organization, which is now in about 35 states (maybe more).

I just joined this forum and in just 1 day have gotten a very strong sense that there are a lot of people out there who promote traditional values. Again, a choice to do so. For all the moms and dads out there who are looking for a BSA-like environment for their girls, AHG warrants consideration. See my 8/23 and 8/24 posts in the Studio2B forum for more info on AHG or go to www.ahgonline.org. The AHG experience is too good not to share.

AHG Mom,

You emphasize freedom of choice. Do you support the right of each American to make an informed choice about the important issues that affect them, including matters of faith as well as health care, family planning, and choice of marriage partners?

Very good question. Freedoms are at the very core of a democratic society so of course I support "freedom of choice." But that doesn't mean that I am pro abortion or support same sex marriages. Do I agree with the choices some people make regarding family planning, abortion, marriage partners? Absolutely not. My opinions on these topics are Christian, morally and personally based so you can probably figure out my position.

My beliefs are why I am glad there was another CHOICE for my daughter other than Girl Scouts. And that was the point of my last posting. I certainly did not intend to allude to CHOICE in matters of abortion, etc. My intention was to let more people out there know about American Heritage Girls because my family has had such a wonderful experience with it.

AHGM: You're not alone.

Its not unusual for some who favor "choice" in one context (e.g., pro-abortion) to also oppose "choice" in other contexts (e.g., school vouchers).

It all depends on whose ox is being gored.

Anyway, welcome to the Forums!

It sounds like you are in favor of freedom of choice for yourself, but not for others. Surely you don't mean that. I'm very glad you were given the opportunity to choose for yourself; don't others deserve the same freedom?

Welcome AHG Mom

I would suggest that unless you like to debate, usually over nothing.

Or that you like things taken out of context and your words twisted around. You may want to stay out of the Issue and Politics forum. Not that your posting will not be twisted around in all of the other forums this one is the worst.

You will even find some of the moderators like to pile it on also.

Welcome, AHG Mom,

And thank you Dan for stepping up to protect AHG mom - though given her response to Trevorum's interestingly challenging query, she seems able to fend for herself.

Dan, I appreciate that you offered yourself up as an example of inappropriately focusing on people rather than the words of a post. IMHO, generically badmouthing other posters is exactly what you've warned AHG mom to be afraid of. Let me suggest that you and I set a better example by demonstrating how to dispute words rather than impune people.

jd

johndaigler

well I DO NOT appreciate your attempt at whatever you where trying to say.

I was not defending anyone. I thought that maybe if I give some postives to her posts, maybe she would not run away like most new posters do.

I guess I was correct about a certain moderator piling it on.

AHG Mom,

Please forgive my bad manners for not welcoming you to the forum before starting a debate! I was plain ol' lazy in not noticing your number of posts. Generally, we do try to be more courteous than that. While we do enjoy a lively exchange of opinions here, please be assured that at heart we are all Scouts and Scouters.

Why, thank you, Trevorum for your decorum. It has become apparent that this forum is a great venue of entertainment for some. I shall remember that and watch my "p"s and "q"s in the future. Since you all are "scouts at heart," I can take the "heat" of the postings and put it into context, "yes?"