Passing of Pope John Paul II

As I write this post, Pope John Paul II is not yet gone, but it is clear that he will pass shortly. This may be jumping the gun, but I thought that this was an appropriate place to express my personal respect for him and sense of loss in his passing. Whatever you may believe, or choose not to believe, and whatever you may think of the Roman Catholic Church, one has to agree that this was a great and good man. He contributed greatly to the demise of the communist tyranny over Eastern Europe. You always knew where he stood. How many contemporary politicians, business and religious leaders are unambiguous in their beliefs?

Eisley

Right you are. JP II is a man of deep conviction and a man of the people, he is the first pope to reach out to non catholics as well as catholics. He was a laborer and a youth leader in his youth in Poland, and he never lost touch with those roots. He was instrumental in the downfall of communism in Eastern Europe, and he reached out and apologized to the Jewish community for any and all offenses committed against them by the Catholic Church. He was the first pope to give Israel ambassador status to the Vatican. As a life long Catholic, while I didn't always agree with some of his stances, he always had my greatest respect and admiration. His passing will be a tremendous loss not only to the Church but to the world.

Good evening,

John Paul II is also a great example for our young people. As a young man he was an avid outdoorsman and active in writing and acting. How many of us dare to undertake those things? How many of our youth try to balnce them --perhaps we have an opportunity to share a very special story. Does anyone remember photos of John Paul II skiing and hiking?

At the NCEA (Nat'l Cath. Educators Assoc.) convention several years ago I saw a "trading card" that featured various aspects of his life. I thought it was great!

Most impressive to me was his desire to reach out to all. He went anywhere and met with anyone (to my recollection).

Bob

He has passed on to the hands of God. Just a few moments ago.

The tears I shed are for us, not him. I have absolutely no doubt that Pope John Paul II is in the arms of Jesus.

I'm not Catholic, nor is any member of my family. Today I feel like we're all Catholic.

Regardless of faith, I would hope that all good people would respect Pope John Paul II for his life of service and undeniable sense of right that has guided him to guide the world through so much for so long.

I can only pray that there will emerge another who is as strong, as faithful, as humble. A true leader of the world who will bring us even closer to peace and harmony on this earth.

He will surely leave his footprint in history.

Unc.

There are no words just a hole.

I have loved and admired this great man for such a long time.

When the Pope came to Ireland, Scouts all over Ireland lit fires from coast to coast at sunrise, I helped the troop that 5 young cousins were in. We then all drove like crazy to Drogheda, which isn't that far from the Northern Irish border. The Pope went into the cathedral, which houses the relics of Saint Oliver Plunkett, after who my Dad, myself and OJ are named. Because of this we missed the Mass at Phoenix Park in Dublin where he delivered an open-air sermon to more than 1.25 million people - nearly a third of Ireland's entire population.

I was at Wembely Stadium. It was packed with young people singing "He's Got The Whole World In His Hand".

I was in Toronto,my cousin is married to a detective who was one of the team that guarded the Pope.

I will get over my sadness and will celebrate the life of this saintly man.

After being a very active church member and an alter boy, who at one time thought of becoming a priest, in my college years I questioned my faith. This Pope had a lot to do with me coming back to the church.

Pater Noster, qui es in caelis,

Sanctificetur nomen tuum.

Adveniat regnum tuum,

Fiat voluntas tua,

sicut in caelo, et in terra.

Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,

Et dimitte nobis debita nostra,

sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.

Et ne nos inducas in tentationem,

Sed libera nos a malo.

Amen.

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

God Bless Our Holy Father.

Eamonn.

Also not Catholic, but I acknowledge his tremendous positive influence on the world over decades of service. Although I do not agree with some of the ideas promoted by the Catholic church, many of which were supported by John Paul, I nevertheless admire the clarity and consistency of those ideas. He was an honest man with honest views - who honestly tried to help people and set an example for living to the very end. Who could ask for more?

While we are all sad to lose such a faithful servant of God, let us not be overly burdened with sorrow. I think it was Gen. George Patton who said that we should not mourn for such men, rather we should celebrate that they lived.

I think perhaps that is a great thought, particularly in the midst of the Easter season. The message of Easter is that the power of death and sin have been broken (though they still remain with us). So I think we should mourn our loss, but celebrate his life. He may no longer live here with us, yet he does still live, in the embrace of the Lord in Heaven.

I personally feel as though I have lost a member of my own family. It is beyond me to express who this man was and what he did for the world.

p.s. Just in way of reminder, the President has ordered flags to be flown at half mast until sunset on the day the Pope is intered. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/04/20050402-3.html

(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)