BSA Annual Report to Nation Celebrating 2004 Achievements

The Boy Scouts of America Presents Annual Report to Nation Celebrating 2004 Achievements

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/03-10-2005/0003161144

WASHINGTON, DC USA 03/10/2005

Youth Delegates Highlight Good Turn for America Initiatives, Past Year's Accomplishments, and Future Goals

IRVING, Texas, March 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Through the efforts of nearly 1.2 million dedicated volunteers and the support of religious and community organizations in every neighborhood across the United States, the Boy Scouts of America positively affected more than 4.8 million youth with its program of citizenship, mental and physical fitness, and character development in 2004.

On Wednesday, March 9, a six-member delegation of young men and women embodying the goals of Scouting and representing the Scout Oath and Law presented the BSA's 2004 achievements and 2005 goals during its annual Report to the Nation in Washington, D.C.

"For 95 years the mission of the BSA has been to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by teaching the values of the Scout Oath and Law," said Roy Williams, Chief Scout Executive. "As the specific needs of America's youth have changed, the BSA has evolved to meet those needs while remaining a positive influence. Today, one out of every two American males has had an affiliation with the Scouting program, and their combined contributions continue to make a significant impact on our nation."

In 2004, the BSA met the emerging needs of society with youth programs and services including Good Turn for America, a national service initiative that addresses critical areas of need in society; Soccer and Scouting, a program developed for youth traditionally underserved by Scouting, especially the growing Hispanic American/Latino population; and increased emphasis on the overall well-being of children through encouraging American youth to live an ongoing healthy lifestyle.

This year's delegation will specifically highlight the following 2004 achievements:

* Cub Scouting served approximately 1.9 million Scouts in 2004 while placing continued emphasis on providing increased opportunities that combine outdoor and character development activities.

* Membership in Boy Scouting reached nearly 1 million in 2004. The highest rank a Scout can achieve -- the Eagle Scout Award -- was earned by more than 50,000 young men -- the highest annual number in BSA history.

* Outdoor adventure continues to attract young men to the Scouting program, with 59 percent of all Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts participating in a long-term camping trip.

* The high-adventure Venturing program served more than 280,000 members and addressed the lack of physical fitness facing the nation's young people by introducing the Quest Award, for which Venturers are required to learn about good nutrition, fitness, and sportsmanship, learning healthy habits that last a lifetime.

* In 2004, the Boy Scouts of America launched Good Turn for America, a national service initiative that addresses the issues of hunger, homelessness, and poor health. Inspired by President George W. Bush's USA Freedom Corps, Good Turn for America is a collaborative effort of Habitat for Humanity, the American Red Cross, and The Salvation Army. Through Good Turn for America, the work of a single group is duplicated tenfold when hundreds of other organizations' volunteers join in to improve their community. While the program teaches youth vital lessons about service and leadership, it also enhances the life of adult volunteers in making a difference in the happiness and health of the nation.

"We use numbers and statistics to measure our success in delivering the Scouting program. But behind the numbers, you will find a nation of young men and women learning leadership, developing character, and serving their communities with the caring guidance of countless volunteers and supporters," Williams said. "The BSA will continue to look to the challenges of the next century and seek to help ordinary young people become extraordinary adults by recruiting quality leadership, generating adequate funding for our programs, inviting youth from all backgrounds to join, and by offering fun and relevant programs that are founded on strong values."

The Report to the Nation youth delegation includes Kevin Altimier, 9, of Ohio; Andres Molina-Villarino, 10, of Puerto Rico; Kristopher Geyer-Roberts, 14, Fla.; Julia Reed, 17, Wash.; Patrick Murphy, 18, Ariz.; and Christopher Kerzich, 21, Ill. This year's host couple is Francis and Marcia McAllister of Columbus, Mont.

In addition to presenting the official report at the U.S. Capitol, the delegation also toured area sites, including the White House, the U.S. Supreme Court, Arlington National Cemetery, Goddard Space Flight Center, the Pentagon, and the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.

Serving 4.8 million young people between 7 and 20 years of age with more than 300 councils throughout the United States and its territories, the Boy Scouts of America is the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. If you would like more information about the programs available through the BSA, please contact the National Council at 972-580-2000 or visit http://www.scouting.org'>http://www.scouting.org .

Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050310/DATH012'>http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050310/DATH012

Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert shakes Scout Andres Molina-Villarino hand along with other Report to the Nation delegates at the Capitol. (l-r) Life Scout Kristopher Geyer-Roberts, National Venturing President Christopher Kerzich, National OA Chief Patrick Murphy and Webelos Scout Kevin Altimier watch and listen to the Speaker. (PRNewsFoto)[AS]

SOURCE Boy Scouts of America Web Site: http://www.scouting.org

Photo Notes: NewsCom: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050310/DATH012

AP Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org

PRN Photo Desk, photodesk@prnewswire.com

"The highest rank a Scout can achieve -- the Eagle Scout Award -- was earned by more than 50,000 young men -- the highest annual number in BSA history."

Are we getting better or are we letting our standards slip?

"59 percent of all Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts participating in a long-term camping trip."

41 percent didn't? I'd have thought we werer doing MUCH better than that.

In terms of the 50,000 Eagle Scout Awards, I'm going to play the optimist.

I think folks are doing a better job of delivering the promise and program. A week or so ago I attended my third merit badge university in a six month period. Believe it or not, we missed a fourth. Activities like this, winter camps, etc that offer kids additional opportunities to advance weren't the norm back in my days as a scout in the 1970's.

I feel that any scout that participates in a healthy troop program, summer camp, and merit badge universities should have little or no problem completing the badge work.

Well the BSA like any organization dependent on public financial support does cook their stats to show they are growing, even if that is not the case. While cubs have grown over the past few years boy scouts have not. The 1 million figure is exaggerated I'm sure with paper units, as discussed elsewhere in this forum. The BSA has never recovered from the severe drop of boy scouts during the Vietnam War era. The reasons for this are many from poorer quality programs, apathy and large turnover from the professional side of scouting. Now in some areas this may seem that it is not the case, but nationally it is.

I agree with Wingnut as far as the number of Eagles, and I think most quality scoutmasters will agree that the standards for Eagle have been erroding over the last decade. As a former professional and currently scoutmaster I have seen this firsthand. There are still many SMs who demand a quality effort from the Eagle candidate, unfortunately there are even more who pressed for time run little more than merit badge mills and Eagle factories instead of a true scouting program. Boy Scouts in the beginning through the 1960's numbered in the millions (3to5), now with our larger population we have less than a million, probably more like half that number. We can blame all of the other stuff competing with us or we can look at what we can do better on a unit and national level. I thank God that my troop is active and growing, as many of yours are I am sure, and that is because we have our priorities and programs set correctly. Many others do not and watch their troops fade away and wonder why. One main reason, IMHO, is that councils are closing or merging for economic reasons and giving less and less support to the districts and units than ever before and in many areas this is getting to a crisis level. I will stop here for now but would love to hear your feedback.

BadenP writes:

While cubs have grown over the past few years boy scouts have not.

How do you figure Cub Scouts have grown over the past few years?

It's gone from 2,114,420 in 2000 (year of the Dale decision) to "approximately 1.9 million" in 2004

Meryln

With your obvious hatred of the BSA that you spew forth every chance you get in this forum I really have no desire to enter into dialog with you. You may be able to bait others in here, but I really don't give a @#*& what you think or have to say about anything related or unrelated to scouting.

This is the last communication I will have with you, the bitter,angry, and pitiful person that you are. You need some serious help, and to get a life.

I can tell you that the Eagle requirements in our Council aren't being diluted, as far as I can tell. The Scouts are doing significant projects to meet their Eagle requirements.

As far as the numbers go, I think there have been enough stories about "cooked books" to know that it's happening. On the other hand, the systems that our Council uses are so archaic that I can't imagine how they get an accurate number from it. Also, there's some sort of "outreach" program going on with schools that I think gets counted in the Scout totals, although I don't think that the participants are actually Scouts.

To be honest, in my own troop, I'd rather have 15 kids that want to be there, than 30 that are there mostly so that there parents can get 90 minutes to shop each week and we're used mostly as a babysitting service. I think that that applies at the national level as well. The problem as I understand it is that the BSA staff are rated at least partially on their Scout totals, so there is a lot of incentive to inflate the numbers. We should be more worried about whether we've got a quality program going. We get contacted all the time to "run another recruitment night". We've got 20 Scouts in our troop; the boys don't really want it to get much bigger. We know lots of other troops that have lots of Scouts, and they don't even know each other. We're a small group, but we're a good team. I don't worry about how many Scouts we have. If we've got a good program going, the Scouts will come to us.

Merlyn:

You're quicker than I am to call a man a liar. I won't call you a liar.

However, you were needling and BadenP simply responded.

I'm going to quote you to yourself. I must admit the quote is accurate because I "cut" it and will "paste" it with mouse clicks . . . so you can't say I miqoted you.

You said, "You can ignore reality and pretend otherwise, but I'd advise dealing with it."

That's what you said.

Before you can say I quoted you out of context, let me cut and paste the entire post you wrote.

You said, in it's entirety in that one post:

"Hey BadenP, you're the one acting all bitter and angry; I just pointed out that Cub membership has been declining, not growing over the last few years. You can ignore reality and pretend otherwise, but I'd advise dealing with it."

You'll probably just ignore this post of mine as you ignore any others with valid points . . . I expect no more from you.

It really makes me wonder why I ever try to give you the benfit of the doubt.

Reading your stuff almost makes me believe in purgatory (not a protestant thing.) However, although judgement isn't mine, I believe you fall into the category of "not bad enough to fire, not good enough to promote."

Unc.

Uncle,

Not to get into a deep theology issue, but purgatory isn't the middle road between heaven and hell. There is no middle ground. You either go to one or the other.

However, those going to heaven need to make a stop on their way to purge their impurities and prepare for the joys of heaven and such. So, it is really as much a process as it is a place. As to how long it takes to comlete that process, well, only God knows. Maybe a span of time too short to measure with the best clock, or too long to name with all the words and numbers of man. It is sort of like the practice in some cultures of taking off the old dirty shoes before you go into the nice clean house.

So, just to clear things up the existance, or lack of pergatory, in no way changes the ability of Merlyn to be saved. It will either happen or it won't, because it must happen or not, there is no other choice.

Uncleguinea, I'd respond to your point, but you didn't seem to make one. BadenP mentioned offhand that Cub Scouts had been growing the last few years, but that simply isn't so. A glance at the annual reports on www.scouting.org will tell you that.

Merlyn's post was "flamebait," and BadenP's reaction was the kind of thing he was looking for. It was an insidious piece of flamebait, because if the same post had been made by somebody else, it could have been taken as simply advancing a discussion of whether BSA is shrinking or growing. But we've all seen enough of Merlyn's posts about how "dishonest" BSA is to know what he was gettng at with his post. I just point this out for the possible new reader who might find BadenP's reaction disproportionate, when it's really quite understandable.

I think the more appropriate "scare quotes" in my post were around the term "flamebait." Merlyn, there is perhaps the tiniest justification for your behavior in threads that relate to your specific jihad against BSA--government sponsorship of units--but when you inject yourself into other threads just to sow discord, that's just trolling, and you should knock it off.