BSA Annual Report to Nation Celebrating 2004 Achievements

I agree with BP that there is a general "cooking of the books" but after the smoke clears, the Annual Reports do not indicate the expected growth from such a process in the CS program, but then, BP agrees with this in his first sentence. As indicated, there is a general decline from the peak year of 1999 until 2004 of 281,013 or 12.8% (*derived from the reported estimate from 2004). This is a significant decline in the Cub Scout program but I believe that BP was estimating his CS program values as a contrast to the Boy Scout program where numbers tend to be more important. Estimating to make a point is an accepted practice on most front porches and around campfires with friends.

The valuations have little to do with the statement but the reasons for the decline in the Boy Scout program is what is important, "poorer quality programs, apathy and large turnover from the professional side of scouting...Nationally.", quite an indictment. How do we know this to be true because there are even fewer numbers to make this assertion? Well, most of us are listening carefully to each other and whether it is true has little worth. It is what we do with that information that is the key.

As for me, I know that I can do something about program quality and apathy. I am the director of a large Cub Scout/Webelos event this next year. Based on BP's statement, I have decided that we must increase our attendance by 25% to make it a very large CS/WS event. We have a good staff and it is time to renew our outlook on how we administer our part of it. We will be looking closer at the reasons we are doing what we are doing. It may be that we can be part of the answer. We may be able to help bolster those BS numbers this next year. Wish us hard work and big dividends!

Thanks,

FB