Meanwhile, in Houston, a precinct judge is sentencing kids to serve time as Scouts!

"Another juvenile program that he spearheaded two years ago is one in which juveniles that have committed serious crimes such as arson, sexual or weapons offenses are matriculated into Boy Scout troops.

"We have sent more than 125 boys into the program... the parents have to be involved with their children in order to make this work"

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13801215&BRD=1574&PAG=461&dept_id=533251&rfi=6

Hmmmmm? I love scouting and I think it is a great program. Even with the kids who join because they actually want to, it has its challenges. While these boys can benefit from scouting, I'm not so sure I want the courts dumping their problems on my doorstep. All we need is a teenaged sexual predator bunking with someone. I guess the arsonists can teach fire buiding skills.

This is crazy!!!!

How can the judge do this???

Sure it's good for those boys, but what about the Separation of Scouting and State????

Who's footing all the bills?

Who's safeguarding the other boys?

Who's Leading?

Crazy . . . Crazy . . .Crazy . . .

jd

From what I could tell from another news article, this is a type of voluntary probation program. No one is forced to join a troop, but they have the option to do so and have their infraction expunged from their record.

My first concern was for the safety of the other guys. Scouting should not be a "boot camp" for offenders. In most troops, everyone is there because they WANT to be (excluding the occasional parental mandate). But these guys are told they HAVE to be there (or "else"). That seems to be a recipe for conflict and potental violence.

Still, the article suggests that it has turned around a number of misguided young fellows, with two of the 125 having earned Eagle (reportedly).

I'd love to hear from some of the SMs of these troops...

I read this article a few days ago when our CC sent it out. I had hoped it would end up here. Thanks Trevorum.

I would honestly have a fit if some judge ordered a youth offender to "serve time" in my son's troop. BSA has tried and true methods for helping WILLING boys grow into honest, responsible young men. ORDERING a youth offender to serve time in a troop is nothing more than a social experiment that could damage the scouting program in the troop. Negative attitudes are contagious. Unless the judge himself is the SM and has court officers as his ASMs, and all of the adjudicated youth are joining his troop, I think that judge is WAY out there in expecting other people to take up for the juvenile justice system.

That said, I have no problem with a youth offender (sex offenders excepted) joining on his own free will, if his intentions are pure in that he wants to make something of himself and make positive changes in his life. I don't think we as adult leaders are privvy to that information - it's not like the youth application asks for that information, right?

Maybe it's a special troop or troops--but if it isn't, I agree with the others. I've seen what happens with boys who don't want to be there, even if it's just the parents that are pushing them into the troop. It usually doesn't work out, and it's a burden on the other boys.

The program was instituted two years ago and now there are Eagle Scouts that are rehabilitated. The judge has really speeded up things in his court room and in Scouting. I'll bet he could empty the prisons if Scouting would extend the age limits.

FB

These are the kind of boys who need Scouting! While I wouldn't be thrilled about them joining my son's Troop, I still think it is a good idea! What a great way to possibly save a young man's life!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Hey guys,

this is kind of interesting isn't it.

Excepting sex offenders most violence, theft or arson "perps" are just 'stupid' kids who got caught. They made stupid choices in friends and recreation activities (you know..."come on, it'll be fun" types). Many troops have boys who have 'Juvie' records that are sealed so we don't even know they are with us...and most are OK...During my heck raising days judges told lots of my peers..."GI or Jail - Take your pick" and most did alright.

We want to help boys...and for the most part this seems like a way to do it...