It's not as popular as some think

OOPS sorry the spell checker works but now I guess I need Grammar check.

I wrote "Even if the BSA altered its standards in a my way I would continue to support them for as long as I choose (or was allowed) to remain a member. "

That should have been...

Even if the BSA altered its standards in any way I would continue to support them for as long as I choose (or was allowed) to remain a member.

BW

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that wonder why somone might join or remain a member of the BSA even though they disagree with their current membership policies.

I can only answer for myself, but first and foremost I joined with my son. To my son scouting is fun. Sure he gets much more out of it but to him it's primarily fun. I joined to help him and his troop mates get as much out of scouting as I did. On a day to day basis at the youth level the gay membership issue is not discussed. It is not an issue. I expect scouting in those councils and districts that disagree with the national membership policy goes on much as it does in those councils and districts that do agree.

Secondly, as Acco indicates it's a matter of picking ones battles. The gay membership issue is not so great an issue for me that I would deny my son his opportunity to be a part of scouting or my opportunity to share that with him. I see it as no different than those who may believe homosexuality as immoral still taking their family to Disney World inspite of the support the Disney organization gives to the gay community. Sure there are some that refuse to go based on principal, but many others go because they want to enjoy the experience with their families.

I also do not disagree with the values of scouting or the Scout Oath and Law. I am also satisfied that the BSA as a private organization can set it's own membership standards. I do disagree with how Oath and Law have been interpreted by the current leadership that sets the membership requirements. My preference would be to leave the issue up to the local CO as the BSA does with many other decisions. This difference of opinion is not sufficient for me to quit an organization I have been associated with and highly regard for nearly 20 years of my life and provides the best opportunity for my son to experience outdoor activities and learn the values of scouting and leadership.

While we may thoughtfully discuss the issue as adults, the issue is not discussed with the youth members of the Troop I serve. I would hope that in discussions of the meaning of the Scout Oath and Law, adults are not teaching scouts that gay people are immoral and that's why they can't join scouting as leaders.

SA