Can We Try And Be Nice?

Eamonn

Sorry, I try but sometimes you have to crack a few eggs to make a train wreck.

Okay for the ones that do not get my sense of humor (which I have been told is very dry) and or are humor impaired like I am (which I have been told a few times on this forum) this is a taken from. To make an omelet you have to break a few eggs. This post is not directed at anyone, it is just what popped into my head when I read Eamonns post.

Okay I will go take my meds now.

But I do feel another post coming on as I type this one out!

The format thingie is pretty cool, not as cool as the spell check thingie which I can use on other forums!

Responding seriously to the question posed, I can only speculate on why some folks behave the way they do. I find it difficult to believe that the people who are rude and boorish on this forum behave that way towards people with whom they have personal contact. I think there is something about the veil of anonymity of the internet that brings out the worst in people.

Name calling and insults contribute nothing. People who do that in this forum set a terrible example for the youth who participate.

I recently posted this, and again, this seems another appropriate place for it:

GOD, grant me the serenity

to accept the things

I cannot change,

Courage to change the

things I can, and the

wisdom to know the difference.

When you feel someone "pulling your leg", "Yanking your chain" or "pushing your buttons" don't respond in kind. There is no clever put down or retort which will make anyone bent on chaos change his/her ways.

(I know, I have tried many times, now, if I can only follow my own advice...)

"SOCRATES: Gorgias, I take it that you, like me, have experienced many discussions and that you have observed this thing about them: it's not easy for the participants to define jointly what they're undertaking to discuss, and so, having learned from and taught each other, to conclude their session. Instead, if they're disputing some point and one maintains that the other isn't right or isn't clear, they get irritated, each thinking the other is speaking out of spite. They become eager to win instead of investigating the subject under discussion. In fact, in the end some have a most shameful parting of ways, abuse heaped upon them, having given and gotten to hear such things that make even the bystanders upset with themselves for having thought it worthwhile to come to listen to such people. What's my point in saying this? It's that I think you're now saying things that aren't very consistent or compatible with what you were first saying about [the subject at hand]. So, I'm afraid to pursue my examination of you, for fear that you should take me to be speaking with eagerness to win against you, rather than to have our subject become clear. For my part, I'd be pleased to continue questioning you if you're the same kind of man I am, otherwise I would drop it. And what kind of man am I? One of those who would be pleased to be refuted if I say anything untrue, and who would be pleased to refute anyone who says anything untrue; one who, however, wouldn't be any less pleased to be refuted than to refute. For I count being refuted a greater good, insofar as it is a greater good to be rid of the greatest evil from oneself than to rid someone else of it. I don't suppose that any evil for a man is as great as false belief about the things we're discussing now. So if you say you're this kind of man, too, let's continue the discussion; but if you think we should drop it, let's be done with it and break it off."

-Plato

"Gorgias"

Perhaps we should all approach these forums a little more like Socrates.

With parents from the Land Of Poets. Who at times are very witty but never at a loss for words.

Raised in the land Shakespeare, beaten to death with the works of old Geoffrey Chaucer.

Lulled to sleep with works by Dickens.

Yes I know long-winded.

In fact after much thought I agree with Robert Lynd when he says "Every man of genius is considerably helped by being dead."

Eamonn

In our race to achieve Helper of the Year and the corresponding knot, one of bright black and blue tied tightly around what appears to be a neck on a field of red; we should be ever mindful of the accompanying rules. Sling mud where appropriate. Call each other names when they fit. Gather evidence of your opponents weaknesses and exploit it to your advantage.

If we would all agree to stay within these guidelines, everything would be just fine.

I hope to see each of you at the yearly banquet.

FB