Spelling, just for you FOG and OGE

While we're on the spelling bandwagon, folks...

The possessive case of "IT" is "ITS" (no apostrophe). Simple rule: if you can replace the possessive of "it" with "his" or "hers", there's no apostrophe.

IT'S (with apostrophe) always has been, and always shall be the contraction for "it is", and NOTHING ELSE.

Ex: "It's easy to remember its simplicity."

Don't believe me? Check your kid's Harbrace Grammar Handbook........

Feeling better now........(This message has been edited by lasteagle83)

"There's something in the water that's causing the problem. When we wuz youn'uns we knew that there were things that were not said around adults just as we knew that there were things that we didn't do around adults. I would have died rather than swear in front of an adult, in fact I still won't swear in front of my parents or my parent's friends. I also don't swear in front of most women (my wife's the exception since she curses like a trooper) unless I just dropped an anvil on my foot.

Whatever it is that's in the water has taken away these inhibitions from kids today. I don't know if it is society, schools, TV or what.

Fortunately, the scouts in my troop keep it clean around the adults."

I think you have been drinking the water you wrote of. What I think is that you have very little regard for others, regardless of their age or gender (remember the MILF crack when you posted as Yaworski). I think it is not my mind in the gutter. You posted these things. I and others were justed subjected to reading your filth.

Bob White

If anyone wishes to start another petition because I don't appreciate the language FOG uses please feel free to do so. After all, I'm one one of the horrible people whose typing you find so disgusting.

There are some very twisted priorities being displayed here.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Boy Bob White, you take others to task for jumping threads and switching topics and there you go, doing just that, quoting something from waaaaay over there.

"(remember the MILF crack when you posted as Yaworski)"

Still playing that same song. I'm surprised that you don't think that evmori and I are the same person and we're both Yaworski. Maybe Sadaam is Yaworski. Maybe you're Yaworski. You really do need help for these delusions.

Anyway, what's a MILF crack?

Fat Old Guy,

Bob is just up to his old tricks! Hey maybe you & I are twin sons of different mothers!

TFB could mean The Fat Boy or Tofu Feels Bad or That Funny Boy!

Ed Mori

A blessed Christmas to all!

1 Peter 4:10

It's obvious what TFB stands for, and it's not appropriate for this forum. My opinion, anyway.

As for spelling, sometimes extremely bad or bizarre spelling is a tipoff that somebody is trolling--especially if they are posing as a younger person. When Sturgen wrote "I don't mean to be insultive," I began to have great doubts if anybody could really make that "mistake."

Since you asked...

1. SNAFU--some people translate it as "situation normal; all fouled up," an obvious toned down version. I wouldn't teach it to boys.

2. "Darn" and "Dang" are themselves toned-down version of a (relatively) mild expletive. I'd let them pass.

3. "Gosh"--I really don't like it when people use "Jesus" and "God" as expletives--I especially don't let my children say "My God!" or "Oh My God!" Gosh, again is a toned-down version of this--but I don't like it, because it can too easily sound like "God."

4. "Odds bodkins." This is one of a group of achaic expletives (like "gadzooks") that are mildly sacreligious. Odds bodkins comes from "Gods little body" and gadzooks comes from "God's hooks." I think it's OK to say these, as long as you don't know what they mean.

5. "frazzencraker"--this is OK by me.

While I'm delivering my views--and you solicited them, don't forget--I'll say that one term I really hate is "that sucks." Isn't this dirty any more?

Hunt,

"That Sucks!" has been creeping into the language of boys in our Troop, and into my home, for a few months now. It used to be I heard it a few times a month, and usually gave the offender a look, but didn't do anything more. Recently, I have been on a mission to eliminate it. I have asked anyone who uses the the phrase to substitute "That vaccuums!". seems when they try to do that, it doesn't seem as sexy to them and eventually they stop using the phrase. It's been a slow process, but progress is being made.

My next target is "Yo! Dude!"

As to misspellings and typos, I want to agree with FOG, but I think reality often finds people typing something very quickly, like kids do when they IM, and hitting "post" without proofreading. I wish people took more care, but I think in this setting, it is unlikely. I attempt to proofread my posts before hitting submit. I catch a lot of errors. But I generally don't make the effort to look up a word if I am unsure of the spelling. I make plenty of errors myself, so being hyper - critical of others' mistakes is something I don't think I can be.

Mark