Spelling, just for you FOG and OGE

I admit it openly, typing was the only class I failed in college. It's not that I don't know the words I just don't always hit the right key. When time allows I run spell-check but often I type and dash off to do something else.

At least my typos are not done as a way to ridicule or attack another person.

Bob White

Typos are things like typing "hte" instead of "the" or "str" instead of "are." I have problems with not knowing the difference between homophones.

eight, ate

two, to, too

their, they're, there

were, where, we're, whir

not, knot

know, no

The egregious spelling errors that are seen on discussion groups such as this are far too numerous to list.

"I have problems with not knowing the difference between homophones."

That's Okay FOG, I don't think anyone is going to attack you personally for your vocabulary errors as long as you are equally considerate of their spelling errors.

Bob White

Sturgen,

Since we have identified the sin of misspelling, what are the feelings about posters who use initials to express obscenities toward other posters? Do we accept the obscenity but condemn the typos and homophones?

I just want to make sure we have our moral outrage prioritized.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"S'il n'taient pas pour des erreurs d'orthographe (et une conqute normande), vous seriez parlant et crivant vieil anglais. Faites- confiancemoi, il n'est pas une jolie chose."

So you advocate allowing people to misspell whatever they want to allow the language to continue to evolve? I really don't think that the spelling drove the evolution of the language since most people didn't write back then.

"So you advocate allowing people to misspell whatever they want to allow the language to continue to evolve? I really don't think that the spelling drove the evolution of the language since most people didn't write back then."

I don't advocate misspelling. Do I advocate ALLOWING people to misspell? I suppose so; but you are free to prevent them if you wish. :)

Spelling did drive the evolution of the written language. There are many possible written forms of a given phonetic word. The written forms changed over time because of (largely monastic) misspellings. The spoken and written languages changed in tandem, though rifts often developed as can be seen in your homophones.

Proper language is important, but one can become quite rude in correcting another. Mispronunciations are as common as spelling errors, yet we consider them to be so much more subjective. Why is that? Start correcting people's verbal speech and see the reaction that you get. hehe..