ACLU sues Old Baldy council for fraudulent HUD grant

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled onto this thread and just thought to put my 2cents in. This is my fourth year as a scout parent and my second year as a leader. My "boys" are now Jr. Webelos and I am rpoud of each and every one of them. I am also just as proud to call myself a Scout Leader and brag about my son being a scout. Just the other day, he helped a woman on crutches get to her vehicle in the rain by holding her umbrella for her. He did not do this because anyone asked him to or even suggested it. When she commented that not one person at work had helped her all day, he replied matter-of-factly "Well, I'm a Scout." He feels that there is more expected out of him as a Scout and "does his best" to fulfill that responsibility. He reads his "Boy's Life" religiously, sees the actions of Scouts before him and wants to emulate them. Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. I've seen the changes in him since becoming a Scout. Our relationship as mother and son has improved becasue of scouting. I respect the opinions of others and so does he. He does not treat others in a negative way because of their beliefs. He does not put them or their beliefs down, even though he may not agree with them. He does not tell others that they are wrong or bad people just because their beliefs are different than his or may even be the opposite of his. Do you know why? I'll give you a hint. The answer can be found in Cub Scouting's 12 Core Values and in the Boy Scout Law. For those of you who take no part in Scouting, look it up and you may learn something. For those of you who do, you should know what I'm talking about. I may be just a Cubbie, but I'm a proud Cubbie and I've learned a lot in these past few years that have changed me for the better. One thing that I have learned is that it is a good thing to stand up for what you believe in and follow your heart, regardless of what others believe or say, but that you can do that while still being respectful of others and their beliefs.